Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
MS Drugs May Not Delay Disability - More Contradictory News
Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff posted:
According to a new study, patients treated with interferon beta, the drugs to help prevent relapses, were no less likely than untreated patients to progress to the point where they required a cane.

Multiple Sclerosis Drugs May Not Delay Disability

Researches in British Columbia and Italy appear to have conflicting results. Once again, we hope that wider, comprehensive research is conducted.

Share your thoughts on this news.

Elizabeth

hackwriter responded:
The research community is already aware that we don't all respond equally to interferons or to glatiramer acetate. These conflicting studies might be a reflection of that.

There is a recent study published in the July 12 issue of the New England Journal of Medicine about the discovery of a particular kind of antibody found in the blood of MS patients that are not present in other autoimmune diseases, the significance of which is that it might help to identify what kinds of drugs will benefit us via a blood test during the diagnostic phase. Getting the right treatment early in the disease process might help us delay having to use a walking aid.

Kim

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff replied to hackwriter's response:
Hi Kim -

I also noticed that study last week but think I read about it in Neurology???? Oh, and you also posted about it here -

Scientists Pinpoint Antibody that may be Specific to MS

This antibody news seems like it would take center stage over some of these other small patient population studies.

Elizabeth

hackwriter replied to Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff's response:
Elizabeth,

I agree that the antibody study is more significant and builds on the genetic studies that are identifying biomarkers for MS.

The overall significance of these is that they will help move treatment trends from a once-size-fits-all therapy to individualized treatment, one that delivers a "molecular cocktail" designed especially for that patient.

Kim

Featuring Experts

Neil S. Lava, MD, is the director of the multiple sclerosis clinic at Emory University in Atlanta. He has been treating multiple sclerosis patients si...More

Helpful Tips

Vitamin D
I've had MS since 2001 and had flare ups usually twice a year. Although I have mild MS with tingling and with flare up moderate pain I've ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.