Skip to content
Loss of Weight
TeresaMae58 posted:
I'm new to MS I haven't evev got a clear diagnosis yet the doctors are still in the talking stage.....but I have all the symptoms so far except the brain liasons. Now I have started to turn my nose up at food and cannot eat it...only certain food gets past my stomach and I have lost 7lbs this month. Is this part of MS??

swampster1952 responded:
Hello Teresa,

Maybe, maybe not. Weight loss is not considered an indicator of having MS. I did lose a lot of weight during my darkest hours with my MS, went from 168 lbs. (I am 6 feet in height) down to 148. Now, after 12 of having MS my weight seems to hang out right around 154 lbs.

What does it mean that you "turn up your nose" at certain foods? Do they stink to high heaven or what?!

Dave

hackwriter responded:
I gained weight when I had my first attack because of the steroid therapy. That was in 1999 and my weight has been up and down ever since. I've lost 14 pounds in the past year because I've been eating under 1000 calories a day, by choice.

If we have MS, we still gain and lose weight like everyone else, the disease itself probably wouldn't cause it. Emotions, medication side effects and other medical conditions can affect appetite.

Kim

TeresaMae58 replied to swampster1952's response:
I just meant the throught of certain food I use to eat curls my stomach now.

rickander responded:
i've never had the weight loss issue and have not heard of that as of yet., a spinal tap is the test that will tell u truely if you have MS Brain liasons can be caused by other things such as cocaine use., not that you ever did that., was making a point.. You may want to get another opinion or get a spinal tap since you've said they told you of no liasons

Featuring Experts

Neil S. Lava, MD, is the director of the multiple sclerosis clinic at Emory University in Atlanta. He has been treating multiple sclerosis patients si...More

Helpful Tips

Fatigue
Has anyone ever included bee pollen with their diet? I also take niacin. Bee pollen seems to have help me with the fatigue factor along ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.