Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Includes Expert Content
    Trigeminal Neuralgia with MS
    Moonshadowgirl posted:
    I have been diagnosed with MS for 22+ years, and have taken Betaseron since 1995. What in the world do I do with this trigeminal neuralgia? I've had it off-and-on for at least 10 years, but it has been mainly "on" since December.
    swampster1952 responded:
    Good morning Moon,

    I take gabapentin for my neuropathic pain and it does the trick for me. I am not so sure if this drug would work as well for your neuralgia. Have you spoken to your neuro about this?

    Possibly a pain clinic might have something that would help to relieve your pain.

    Good luck,

    Neil S Lava, MD responded:
    we do see trigeminal neuralgia in patients with MS and treat it with medication usually. The most common medications are anti seizure medicine such as carbamazepine and others. More aggressive therapies are also available.
    You really need to speak with your neurologist about this very painful entity. Medications can be quite effective and help stop the pain.
    MS25221 responded:
    Moonshadowgirl: TN was one of my first symptoms and I had 4 root canals trying to get rid of the pain before seeing a neurologist and getting an MS diagnosis. Now I have it bilaterally. I take Trileptal, but it doesn't always work. Sometimes you need a dose of Solu-Medrol to calm it down if it is due to an active lesion. Like the Dr. said, give your neuro a call. Something can be done. No need to live in pain.

    Featuring Experts

    Stephanie knows multiple sclerosis as a patient and as a nurse. Stephanie was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis in 2013. Shortly after being diagnosed...More

    Helpful Tips

    Tips for Getting Through Cold & Flu SeasonExpert
    The weather is finally cooling down which brings most of us great relief, however flu season is right around the corner! I just wanted to ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    2 of 2 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.