Skip to content
Avonex pens
farside_fan posted:
Today was a MONUMENTAL day! For the first time in 16 years, I was able to give my own Avonex injection......thanks to the wonderful Avonex pens that have been developed/released recently. I had a fantastic nurse who walked me thru the steps, took a deep breath, then pushed the pen's plunger, waited 10 seconds, and it was all with so quickly. I NEVER felt the needle!!! What a wonderful feeling NOT to have to depend on someone else to give me a weekly shot simply because I've always been too chicken to give my own.

Just wanted to share my good news with others who are contemplating using the Avonex pen. I can't say enough good things about its development.

Hope everyone is surviving this year's heatwave and staying cool. Enjoy the upcoming weekend!!!

Suzanne
(Farside_Fan)

hackwriter responded:
Hi Suzanne,

Great news, I'm so happy for you! How long did you use the old pre-filled syringe before switching to the PEN? I was curious about whether the PEN would be more of a draw for new Avonex patients than for experienced users who might have grown used to the old syringe.

Thanks so much for letting us all know how you're doing

Kim

farside_fan replied to hackwriter's response:
Hi Kim ~
I started using Avonex back in 1997 when it was first FDA approved. Back then, my nurse had to MIX with the diluent then inject, then the prefilled syringes became available and made things somewhat easier. The Avonex pens are the GREATEST!!! Easy to load and inject, and NO needle pain whatsoever. The "effects" of Avonex are still there (after 16 years) but tolerable for a few hours. Now I can just inject before bedtime, take some Advil, and go to bed and hopefully, SLEEP thru the bad effects. I'm actually looking FORWARD to giving myself another injection next week!!! The Avonex pens are truly wonderful!!!

Rory26312 responded:
Hi Suzanne

I am nearly ten years on Avonex and started with the old powder solution mix . I have found the prefilled to be great but intend to line up the pen at my next appointment. ( September).

Over the years I have been lucky with the side effects and the rarely bother me.

Anyway thanks for the info on the pen,

Rory

LadyD78 responded:
I'm so happy that you are now at ease!..I currently have someone giving me my weekly shot...I know exactly how you feel...I heard about the pen last week...and immediately called my nurse..unfortunately I have 2 more pre-filled syringes left *blah*...can't wait until my pens arrive!..so far everything I've read about the pen has been positive!

Featuring Experts

Neil S. Lava, MD, is the director of the multiple sclerosis clinic at Emory University in Atlanta. He has been treating multiple sclerosis patients si...More

Helpful Tips

certified nursing assistant (CNA)
I am a care giver who have had vast experience with MS patient and i do travel with my client/s. If some one out there who is looking for a ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.