Skip to content
Mononucleosis and It's connection to multiple sclerosis
An_247034 posted:
2 Questions:

Is it safe to take malarone to prevent catching malaria if I currently have mononucleosis?

Is there an increase risk of having multiple sclerosis if I have mononucleosis? (I am in fact currently suffering from mononucleosis for the 2nd time in my life. Once as a child and now again as an adult).

hackwriter responded:
Here is a 2009 WebMD article describing the theory of Epstein-Barr virus as a possible trigger that activates MS in those who have the biomarkers that make them susceptible:

http://www.webmd.com/multiple-sclerosis/news/20090504/epstein-barr-virus-linked-to-ms

According to this study, there seems to be a significant risk, but it is complicated by the fact that: 1) most people have antibodies for Epstein-Barr by the time they reach adulthood, 2) the number of antibodies in your system plays a part in that risk, 3) you must have the gene markers for MS to be at risk, and 4) a combination of several factors are thought to activate MS, and those would differ for each person.

Are you in the process of being tested for MS, or are you otherwise healthy and just curious about the risk?

Kim

jcake replied to hackwriter's response:
I currently have Mononucleosis as an adult, therefore I am curious about the risk.

Thanks for your reply.

Featuring Experts

Neil S. Lava, MD, is the director of the multiple sclerosis clinic at Emory University in Atlanta. He has been treating multiple sclerosis patients si...More

Helpful Tips

Help Our Community & Experts Help You - Please Read
Welcome to the WebMD Multiple Sclerosis Community! Please don't respond to this discussion. Instead, please read before you start your ... More
Was this Helpful?
106 of 108 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.