Skip to content
Questions
Jeremysmama2012 posted:
Hello Everyone!

I have a new family members who have MS They are doing ok.. My cousin has her bad days a lot. But lately ive been having the symptoms and i was wondering does it run in the family? also how do i get my doctor to take me seriously and look into this?

hackwriter responded:
Dear Jeremysma,

You need to see your PCP first. Lots of conditions share the same symptoms as MS. I wouldn't advise that you go to an initial PCP appointment with "MS symptoms" on your lips, simply describe what's bothering you. The cause could be a lot less serious and might be identified in a blood work-up. But, if your doc thinks the symptoms might be neurological, you will likely get referred to a neurologist for further testing. This is a very difficult disease to diagnose and many other things must first be ruled out.

If your cousin is your closest relative who has MS, your chances of having it are the same as if you had no MS in your family at all (only one-tenth of one percent of the general population is at risk for MS). If immediate family members have it (parents and/or siblings), then your risk goes up to between 1 and 3 percent, which is still quite low. The US currently has approx. 400,000 cases of MS within a population of about 300 million; it is considered a rare disease.

(See Mayo Clinic link below for more risk factor info: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/multiple-sclerosis/DS00188/DSECTION=risk-factors

Hope this helps.

Kim

Featuring Experts

Neil S. Lava, MD, is the director of the multiple sclerosis clinic at Emory University in Atlanta. He has been treating multiple sclerosis patients si...More

Helpful Tips

the walking drug, ampyra
was diagnosedwith MS in 2000. my walking has been getting harder to do but i was still able to work. i recently had an exacerbation of my ... More
Was this Helpful?
52 of 63 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.