Skip to content
M S
mharmon0001 posted:
My husband has been to the doctor theses last 4 months and they are no closer to finding out what is wrong with him his legs and arms go numb his feet burns his back swells and hurts him something teriable his arms tingle his neck is burng and throbing his concentration is interupted he is having cordination problems and trouble seeing dizzy ness and fatigue is it M S they checked him for lime disease they had originaly said something about spinal stenosis he has had 2 steroid treatmengts the first one helped then the symptoms returned so the did a second treatment and he didnt get any better now they have him on an antibiotic to treat for any bacterial infection that could be causing this next they want to test him for rocky mt spotted fever because he had a tick bit last winter in hunting season in the mean time he is getting worse

hackwriter responded:
Dear mharmon,

Your husband is undergoing the usual tests for his symptoms. The symptoms you describe are consistent with MS and with many other diseases as well. Whenever MS is suspected, these other conditions must first be ruled out, and those you've mentioned are among them.

He must see a neurologist for MS testing, which involves brain and spine MRIs to check for demyelinating lesions; a neurological exam to test his reflexes, strength, balance and coordination; evoked potentials testing of his vision and hearing; and a lumbar puncture to look for a certain number of oligoclonal bands in the spinal fluid.

I'm sorry that your husband is suffering, the diagnostic process can be long and frustrating. I hope he'll get some answers soon and begin effective treatment.

Kim

swampster1952 responded:
Hello mharmon,

Kim hit all the salient points in her response to you. I know you and your husband have already gone through 4 months of doctors negative results, but you will just have to grin and bear it somehow.

MS can be a very elusive disease to diagnose, especially if you are not seeing a neuro the specializes in treating patients with MS. You must find such a neuro. If you have to go out of town, or out of state to find one, then do so. The sooner your husband is diagnosed the sooner he can begin treatment.

Let us know how it goes, okay?

Dave

Featuring Experts

Neil S. Lava, MD, is the director of the multiple sclerosis clinic at Emory University in Atlanta. He has been treating multiple sclerosis patients si...More

Helpful Tips

the walking drug, ampyra
was diagnosedwith MS in 2000. my walking has been getting harder to do but i was still able to work. i recently had an exacerbation of my ... More
Was this Helpful?
51 of 62 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.