Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Treatment Question
An_247470 posted:
Hello,

I have a question that I thought I would ask. I am expecting a baby in November and a family member has MS. I am not very close with this person and I didnt want to upset them by asking them my question. I was wondering if there are any treatments that cord blood (and stem cells) can help with MS? We are thinking about public donation of our babies cord blood, but if it could help my family member, I would rather offer it.

Thanks!
Ashley

hackwriter responded:
Dear Ashley,

There is no existing treatment of MS using newborn cord blood cells. Stem cell research is still in its infancy, so to speak, and any MS treatments using them right now are experimental, potentially harmful, and unregulated.

Below is a link to an MS Society article explaining more, and provides an explanation for why storing cord blood for future treatment of family members is discouraged:

http://www.nationalmssociety.org/research/researchers-need-you/donate-to-tissue-banks/umbilical-cord-blood-donation/index.aspx

I would encourage you to do your own internet research on this subject, too, there's a lot of info out there.

Hope this helps.

Kim

Soonerslp responded:
Hi. I have MS and was considering banking the cord blood for my use possibly. I did some research and talked with my cousin who is an Ob/gyn an she said it would not be beneficial, at least not from cord blood. There was a 60min show recently that said at this point stem cells will not help MS or any othe disease. I was kind of bummed! More studies are just needed. At the same time, it wouldn't hurt to store it because who knows what the future brings!

Featuring Experts

Neil S. Lava, MD, is the director of the multiple sclerosis clinic at Emory University in Atlanta. He has been treating multiple sclerosis patients si...More

Helpful Tips

the walking drug, ampyra
was diagnosedwith MS in 2000. my walking has been getting harder to do but i was still able to work. i recently had an exacerbation of my ... More
Was this Helpful?
51 of 62 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.