Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
sorry for digging out a 2 month old topic...
just1query posted:
but aren't these two conditions contrary to one another? One is an autoimmune condition (body's own defenses attacks self) and the other is a condition that attacks the immune system. In other words, if you have MS and then get AIDS, shouldn't the AIDS cure the MS!?!?!? I mean, the AIDS would kill all the cells that are attacking the myelin around the nervous system right?

hackwriter responded:
Great question, and my research doesn't turn up a whole lot, so I can't be helpful. Your reasoning makes sense, but my first thought is that MS is complicated and still rather mysterious, more complicated than T-cells attacking white matter, inflaming it and leaving scar tissue.

I have read that some doctors tell their MS/HIV patients to choose between an MS therapy and an HIV therapy, claiming that together, the two drug therapies would counteract one another--but on the other hand, there are also MS/HIV patients taking both therapies.

I hope someone knowledgeable about epidemiology and autoimmune disease will comment. Thanks for asking an interesting question.

Kim

Featuring Experts

Neil S. Lava, MD, is the director of the multiple sclerosis clinic at Emory University in Atlanta. He has been treating multiple sclerosis patients si...More

Helpful Tips

Vitamin D
I've had MS since 2001 and had flare ups usually twice a year. Although I have mild MS with tingling and with flare up moderate pain I've ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.