Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Question for Dr Lava
bettybing posted:
Hi sir. I have been experiencing some low right (around sciatic area)
back pain for a couple of months. The top of my thigh and the top of my foot go numb and tingle. It also happens in my hand and fingers, both on the right side. I went to my PCP, who put me on Neurontin. I took that for about 4 weeks, and it did not help. I have started within the last two weeks developed this feeling in both of my feet, and it feels as if I have been outside in the cold and you start getting frost bite. My feet become very cold to the touch, but then get red and start itching terribly. There is no discoloration associated with this. I told my PCP of this, and he is referring me to a neurologist to for this and he said to have them also rule out MS? In your opinion, does this sound anything like MS, or just maybe a pinched nerve somewhere? I have had no scans or MRI's done. I would greatly appreciate your input, or anyone else that can help. Thank you

Neil S Lava, MD responded:
Sorry for the delay in answering your question. I have been away but am back in the office now.
Your symptoms are non specific and could be due to a pinched nerve, MS, etc. A neurological evaluation will help pinpoint the problem so it can be treated.

Featuring Experts

Neil S. Lava, MD, is the director of the multiple sclerosis clinic at Emory University in Atlanta. He has been treating multiple sclerosis patients si...More

Helpful Tips

Vitamin D
I've had MS since 2001 and had flare ups usually twice a year. Although I have mild MS with tingling and with flare up moderate pain I've ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.