Skip to content
Increased depression on Rebif?
Anon_70943 posted:
I have been on Rebif for about a year. In the past 2 months my depression has worsened. I did have some thoughts of suicide, which info on Rebif said could happen. I have lowered my shots to half doses. I also am having increased cognitive issues....word finding, short term memory loss, forgetting what I am talking about right in the middle of a sentence....have to be prompted to get back to what I was talking about.
I am on max dose of 2 antidepressants.
Has anyone else had issues like this?

hackwriter responded:
Dear Anon,

I was on Rebif for only four months and experienced mood swings among other side effects, after which I stopped the injections and switched to Tysabri. I did not experience the kind of depression you describe and was not taking any antidepressants, nor was I more forgetful than usual. My depression history has been situational and I've only taken antidepressants for short periods. I have heard other patients describe worsened depression on the interferons, however, especially those with a history of depression.

I hope you'll contact your neurologist and the doctor that prescribed the antidepressants soon to discuss these issues.

Kim

Anon_70943 responded:
I stopped taking Rebif 2 weeks ago. My depression is slowly lifting and sucidal thoughts are gone. Still have cognitive issues. I don't feel as foggy in the head. I definitely think I was having side effects from Rebif even though I had been on it for awhile. I think the side effects just slowly sneak up on you.

Featuring Experts

Neil S. Lava, MD, is the director of the multiple sclerosis clinic at Emory University in Atlanta. He has been treating multiple sclerosis patients si...More

Helpful Tips

Help Our Community & Experts Help You - Please Read
Welcome to the WebMD Multiple Sclerosis Community! Please don't respond to this discussion. Instead, please read before you start your ... More
Was this Helpful?
106 of 108 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.