Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Is it possible
jordansmith posted:
I have a totally gimped leg as a result of M.S. Can I have it amputated

hackwriter responded:
Dear jordan,

I'm not sure I follow the reasoning behind your question--if indeed this is legitimate and not a joke post, which I strongly suspect since it is just too bizarre for words. CAN you have it amputated? I suppose you can do anything you want to do, but why you would want to is beyond me.

If you are serious, ask yourself the following: If, over time, your other leg becomes gimpy, and then your right hand, and finally, one of your eyes loses its vision from optic neuritis, should you then amputate the other leg, the hand, and remove the eye?

Candidates for amputation are generally those who develop a life-threatening infection, tissue death, necrosis, gangrene, as a result of an injury or from diabetes or any number of things. But MS damages the Central Nervous System; there is nothing wrong with the leg, the muscles, the peripheral nerves, bone, vessels, only the nerves that send the signals to that limb are damaged.

Has a doctor suggested amputation? Why has this even crossed your mind?

Kim

jordansmith replied to hackwriter's response:
This is a serious question. Today we have such marvelous breakthroughs in prosthetics that it would be so much easier to get around. As for the question of further disability, I have no romantic attachments to my body. If indeed there are ways to make it better, I'm all for it. I am aware of the process and rehab. Will a doctor consider the surgery? I live in Canada. I know very well how M.S. works but right now I have over 15 lbs of useless material called a leg hanging off me hindering every aspect of my life. At least with a modern prosthetic I'd be able to get around.

hackwriter replied to jordansmith's response:
Jordan,
Research is being done to develop therapies that repair nerve damage. It would be sad if you had limbs amputated and then a drug is developed that might restore your leg function.

Couldn't there be an orthotic or combination of devices that would work similarly to a prosthetic for an amputated limb? There must be other alternatives to consider before something as final, as irreversible as an amputation.

One useless leg hinders EVERY aspect of your life? That statement worries me. I'm guessing you have been a very active person. This crippled leg has certainly hindered every aspect of your physically active life. The deterioration we MSers experience is not unlike the experiencing of aging. Old people have to face the same things, the loss of hand strength and coordination, arthritis, vision problems, degenerative spines that hinder walking and balance, hip and knee replacements. We're all going to get to this place some day, shall we all chop off the offending body part when we get there?

Please continue to look into solutions that can keep you walking and enjoying the things you want to do, there's got to be an answer to this without taking such drastic measures.

Kim

Rory26312 responded:
Hi Jordan

I don't know much about prosthetics but 12 years ago a friend of mine lost his leg above the knee to cancer in the knee joint.

Their big concern was to save as much of his leg as possible because the needed muscle and nerve mass to attach the prosthetic too.

So I am wondering if your disability has progressed to a point where there is not enough function left to be able to make full use of a prosthetic. I guess this is something to discuss with your doctors.

There are historical cases where people had there leg or legs removed and went back to there full careers. A british pilot lost both legs at the outset of world war two and flew the rest of it with prosthetics and Cuba Gooding junior played the role of a navy diver who returned to full service.

It is not something I would consider but if you are determined then do your research with a full medical team ( there will be a lot of them and please don't take this wrong but a therapist might not hurt)

Rory

Featuring Experts

Neil S. Lava, MD, is the director of the multiple sclerosis clinic at Emory University in Atlanta. He has been treating multiple sclerosis patients si...More

Helpful Tips

Help Our Community & Experts Help You - Please Read
Welcome to the WebMD Multiple Sclerosis Community! Please don't respond to this discussion. Instead, please read before you start your ... More
Was this Helpful?
106 of 108 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.