Skip to content
Lanske Diet?
goldfinchie posted:
Dr. Lava, My husband heard about the Lanske Diet and is fairly convinced it will cure most of what ails me. Mostly cognitive at this point. Some balance issues. Lanske calls for cod liver oil. I had to take spoonfuls of this as a kid and you may as well ask me to jump under a bus! Will krill oil capsules work? What is your opinion of this diet on MS. I know it's healthy, right?

hackwriter responded:
Dear goldfinchie,

Dr. Lava usually pops in on Fridays. In the meantime I can share what I've learned about those two sources of Omega-3 fatty acids.

Omega-3s have been touted as a protective anti-inflammatory that will reduce MS flares. However, there have been no large studies that prove this with statistically significant outcomes or repeatable results. Omega-3s will not cure MS and will probably not make you feel any different. But it wouldn't hurt to give it a try.

Cod liver oil does contain the Omega-3s you want, but it also contains high levels of vitamin A, which is toxic to the body if you take more than the recommended levels.

The "Food Law" rule of thumb is that the lower you go on the food chain, the cleaner the Omega-3s are, meaning those bottom-dwellers provide Omega-3 without absorbing pollutants. Krill oil is lower on the chain than cod liver oil. Oily fish such as salmon, mackerel, tuna and sardines are good sources, but they are higher on the chain than cod liver oil and thus tend to retain toxic substances such as mercury.

So, krill oil is the safest, cleanest source of Omega-3s among the fish alternatives.

Kim

goldfinchie replied to hackwriter's response:
Thanks for your response. So you have heard of the Lanske diet? I was told by doc. to take lots of vitamin D as I run real low. I think this diet says no to that. I'm in the process of ordering a book on the diet.

Featuring Experts

Neil S. Lava, MD, is the director of the multiple sclerosis clinic at Emory University in Atlanta. He has been treating multiple sclerosis patients si...More

Helpful Tips

Help Our Community & Experts Help You - Please Read
Welcome to the WebMD Multiple Sclerosis Community! Please don't respond to this discussion. Instead, please read before you start your ... More
Was this Helpful?
106 of 108 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.