Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
migraines and ms
laurieellen posted:
I started having bad headaches about 2 months ago. They happen a couple of times a week. I had an awful one this past Saturday and took Advil which dulled the pain. It happened again on Sunday and Monday. Monday's headache was especially brutal and I went to the ER. They did a CAT scan which was negative. Doctor diagnosed complex migraine based on my slightly droopy eye and tingling face. I have not heard of a relationship between MS and migraines. I am 4 1/2 years with RRMS. Anyone else experience these awful headaches?

BeautifulChaos responded:
Hi... I don't know if it's linked or not but I have migraines 2x a month and they last for 2-3 days. I've always had migraines but they didn't become intense until about 5 years ago. I was recently firmly diagnosed with MS a week ago. Although, I apparently was diagnosed 10 years ago, but never had any other "attacks" until Aug. 2012, so I never went on any medications. Anyway, funny thing is, in July 2012, I had 4 headaches that month and that is unusual. I would like to believe that Migraines and MS are linked in someway. That would explain so much! So I am new to this whole thing but when I read your post about headaches, it flipped an hmmmm....light on!

doggsbone replied to BeautifulChaos's response:
massivly linked i have migrains every month

doggsbone responded:
too have the horrible headaches but unsure if from medicine or ms. have had cidp for 5 years and waiting on firm diagnosis of ms but now they are talking this guillian barre is in there too.

freckles1963 responded:
Hi there I have had MS for 5 yrs and have had Migraines for years. Not sure if it is related or not?

Neil S Lava, MD responded:
It has been shown that multiple sclerosis patients have a higher incidence of migraine headaches than the general population.
It is not clear why this is so.

DanIreland responded:
I have had migraines 24/7 that affect my eyes they get so bad for over a year now since I had my first bad attack. I get new sharp pains in every area there is new inflammation but the original attack has caused a migraine that never goes away

zaljo65 replied to BeautifulChaos's response:
HI,I'M NEW HERE BUT I DON'T THINK IS THE MEDICATION I'VE BEEN OFFICIALLY WITH MS FOR 4 MONTHS BUT UNOFICIALLY FOR 14 YEARS. THE 12 DAYS TERRIBLE HEADACHE SEND MY TO THE ER AND JUST NOW I'M ON REBIF AND ONCE OR TWICE A WEEK I HAVE THE HEADACHE...WHAT MEDICATION R YOU ON...?

ktdid70 replied to Neil S Lava, MD's response:
I have had migraines since a car accident in 2001. A year ago I had the worst Ha in my life that lasted two weeks before they got it stopped, during which the pain caused me to have seizure-like spasms. Of course light/sound bothers me and I get nauseated more often than ever.
The Ct was neg, the MRI showed "shadows", LP ruled out MS, lupus, infection I think. I continue to have little strength in my legs most of the time (PT has made it worse), my balance is off, and I get weak and exhausted at just the slightest exertion - needless to say I cant work right now from it.
My recent neuro says I have "complex migraines", the many EEGs he has done in the last year just show "some kind of seizure activity"(he doesnt know what from, but wont say I have seizures I guess since he hasnt seen them or not affecting my whole life???) the EMGs just show CTS, though I have had times where I could hardly lift my legs during the test and it still showed nothing(muscle tests were also neg).
All my weakness didnt start until after this major migraine episode-had spasms before but not so much weakness. I walk like I am drunk most of the time and I have fallen several times-once I fell and tore a few tendons in my rotator cuff and had to have surgery, another I sprained my ankle real bad and couldnt get up very well. I really cant get up from the floor or even a chair w/o support now.
Recently I have been getting dizzy/nauseated sometimes, which is usually when I get a BAD Ha only I dont have a Ha at the time. I take meds for my migraines-preventative and abortive(which make me feel worse, but my Ha goes away).
I can blame some of the migraines on disc problems in my neck I have had since the accident. I dont understand the physical issues? I have been tested til my veins are dry and I should glow in the dark or stick to a fridge.
I have always wondered if I could have MS from some of my sx, but no one else(drs) seem to think so. I take meds for other problems(asthma, new hbp, gerd/IBS, chronic pain(fibro) none for seizures.)
I may be making a mountain out of a molehill as they say, but I know something is wrong that I cant explain and cant get an explaination out of any dr either (no infectious dis-white count was off/ok now??, sed rate all over the map always high. no arthritis, no this, no that). Now I have been having dreams that I am having a seizure spasm and wake up sore like I have had one in my sleep (THIS concerns the neuro)

Could all this recent issue just be from my migraines??? Or should I be looking for something else (or just give up and live with it???) I have good and bad months with my Ha's now-used to go 6 mo-yr w/o a Ha, now I have them at least once every month or more.

Im sure there is more that I didnt put in this long reply, but that is another thing, I cant remember ****.
ktdid70

Rory26312 replied to ktdid70's response:
Hi ktdid

First a negative spinal tap does not rule out MS , mine was negative and I was still diagnosed.

I was also diagnosed with simple partial epilepsy last year so it is possible to have both MS and a seizure condition . I am not qualified to say you have either but I am worried by your symptoms.

Is your care been co-ordinated at one central point or are you going to various neuro's at different centers. If the latter is the case I feel that should try to get it all under one roof as the expression goes.

Preferably this would be at a teaching hospital or one neuro's office where different doctors can diagnose and then treat your conditons with a plan tailored to you.

As to this not affecting your whole life ,I can tell from one post that it is and maybe you need to make that clear to your neuro.

One other thing Dr. Lava usually check in on Friday so you may want to start a new post with his name in the subject line on wed or thurs and give him a concise explanation of whats going on with you.

Sorry so long but I hope it helps.

Rory

kshah0512 responded:
Laurieellen

I have suffered and treated for severe frequent migraines since I was 12. I was diag. with RRMS at 40 and started taking Copaxone. After about 6 mos. on Copaxone the migraines became less frequent and eventually I would only have a mild one every 6 mos. My neuro at the time said there wasn't any connection between migraines and MS and the Copaxone couldn't have helped with my migraines. Well I know differently. Especially now that I have had to switch to Avonex....my migraines are back...not as severe but they are definately returning.
I think the bottom line is we are learning so much about MS that we really can't rule anything out. I also thank God for this site where we can all share different experiences and make a connection with the symptoms that might otherwise go unnoticed as a part of MS. Case in point....MS Hug....I have had this for years and never knew it was from MS.

Best of luck to you and keep us updated.

Featuring Experts

Neil S. Lava, MD, is the director of the multiple sclerosis clinic at Emory University in Atlanta. He has been treating multiple sclerosis patients si...More

Helpful Tips

Wealth of vitamin D and MS information
There is a lot of information on vitamin D and MS at VitaminDWiki. Shortcut to the MS material is http://tinyurl.com/MSVitaminD . You ... More
Was this Helpful?
24 of 31 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.