Skip to content
Possible MS
qbecker posted:
I just got home from seeing a Neurologist. My Primary referred me as ppossible MS. Symptoms - Complex migraines 20 years, virtigo, right arm goes number, right upper lip goes numb, leg pain, blurred vision, essential tumor. He gave me some tests and I think I failed two. The nose to finger tip test - couldn't do that without finger shaking. Then he had what looked like a tuning fork and put it on the top of my foot and then I was to state when I could not feel the vibration anymore. On both feet I said the vibration stopped but when he put the turning fork to my elbow, I could still feel the vibration. What does this mean. He ordered MRI and MRA of the brain, and then wants to see me in a week after the tests.

hackwriter responded:
dear q,

It means that you had an abnormal neurological exam, thus he has ordered a brain MRI. He should have ordered a cervical spine MRI as well, I don't know why a lot of neuros don't order both when testing for MS, but they should. And he should have ordered a brain MRI with contrast and without contrast. I had no brain lesions on my first MRIs (with and without contrast), but I had two spine lesions.

It's good that he wants to see you in a week, you won't have to wait and worry, although I'm sure you're on pins and needles right now and a week might feel like an eternity.

I hope you'll let us know the results next week. You might ask him about getting that cervical spine MRI, too, it's important. Plenty of us start out with spine lesions, and then years later eventually develop brain lesions. I hope it isn't MS, but if it is, know that there are plenty of therapies to choose from and lots of support here for you. Good luck.

Kim

qbecker replied to hackwriter's response:
Thank you for your response. It is hard not to worry. I work very long days in a small cubical which lends time for your mind to wonder. I am alone alot and have had three very bad bouts of vertigo in the last few days which scares me to no end. I just need answers. Thank you again.

Featuring Experts

Neil S. Lava, MD, is the director of the multiple sclerosis clinic at Emory University in Atlanta. He has been treating multiple sclerosis patients si...More

Helpful Tips

the walking drug, ampyra
was diagnosedwith MS in 2000. my walking has been getting harder to do but i was still able to work. i recently had an exacerbation of my ... More
Was this Helpful?
51 of 62 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.