Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
New Symptom?
mgbull posted:
I'm having a new symptom and I need some help understanding if it's my MS or not. It starts first thing in the morning (for the last 3 mornings) I get a very strange almost electrical feeling in the back of my neck up into the back and top of my head. My emotions go crazy, everything becomes overwhelming. I am fully aware that it's happening but i'm powerless to remain rational. The only way I have been able to control it is with Valium but that's not how i want to live. Has anyone else dealt with anything like this? Please Help.

hackwriter responded:
Dear mg,

What you are describing is Lhermitte's sign, it is a common MS symptom caused by cervical spine lesions. I have it when I let my head drop down towards my chest, but it isn't painful for me and I don't treat it with medication. Some people take anti-convulsants such as gabapentin for it, Prozac (fluoxetine) is another possibility. It's important to talk to your doctor about the alternatives if you don't want to take Valium.

See links below for information about Lhermitte's sign:

http://www.mult-sclerosis.org/LHermittessign.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lhermitte%27s_sign

I hope you'll talk to your doc soon for some ideas to make you more comfortable.

Kim

Featuring Experts

Neil S. Lava, MD, is the director of the multiple sclerosis clinic at Emory University in Atlanta. He has been treating multiple sclerosis patients si...More

Helpful Tips

the walking drug, ampyra
was diagnosedwith MS in 2000. my walking has been getting harder to do but i was still able to work. i recently had an exacerbation of my ... More
Was this Helpful?
51 of 62 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.