Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Low BUN level?
freckles1963 posted:
Hi there I have had MS for 5 years.....have been having a lot of problems not relating to MS per my neuro dr. Fast pulse,Papitations (sp?) High Bp and super weak. Wearing a Heart Monitor now for the next month and Echo test tomorrow...ugh! Anyway my Primary Dr did blood tests and BUN came back at 5 so low has anyone else with MS had this happen to them?

thanks!

Rory26312 responded:
Hi freckles

I have never heard of MS directly causing kidney promblems but my first two thoughts would be something caused by meds or possibly another auto-immune that is effecting the kidneys.

I had a lot of heart tests done last year following a fainting episode but it turned out to be a seizure condition . I am not saying you have that but just letting you know that I feel your pain.

Make sure you follow up and let us know how you are doing.

Rory

hackwriter responded:
Freckles,

My only thought is that a lot of MSers suffer from a neurogenic bladder--meaning you retain urine and might have to self-cath, and probably have chronic urinary tract infections--and that condition can cause serious kidney damage over time.

If you do not have this bladder condition, then something else must be responsible for that low BUN level. Hope you'll find out soon and can get treated quickly, kidney trouble is bad news. Please let us know what you find out. And I do hope you'll feel better soon!

Kim

doggsbone replied to hackwriter's response:
hey kim ,
i know that the ms does cause bladder and urinary problems inconsistancy loss of muscle control but a little fuzzy on what BUN level is. please explain

hackwriter replied to doggsbone's response:
James,

Read the WebMD info link below for an explanation about BUN and blood creatinine tests and the roles they play in monitoring kidney health:
http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/blood-urea-nitrogen

Kim

Featuring Experts

Neil S. Lava, MD, is the director of the multiple sclerosis clinic at Emory University in Atlanta. He has been treating multiple sclerosis patients si...More

Helpful Tips

certified nursing assistant (CNA)
I am a care giver who have had vast experience with MS patient and i do travel with my client/s. If some one out there who is looking for a ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.