Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
MS diag 2000 MRI clear
kshah0512 posted:
I am so very confused right now....I saw a new neuro yesterday after seeing the same one for 10yrs. The new neuro told me my MRIs of the brain from 2009 and 2011 were clear not typical of a person who was diag. 12yrs ago with symptoms of MS dating back 30 yrs. The exascerbation which led to my diag. was from a very large lesion on my spine which led to numbness from the chest down. At that time the MRI of my brain was normal, MRI of spine showed dimylating plaque. I also had a spinal tap which showed the bands were present. I was on solu medrol for 5 days and immediately started on Copaxone. All previous MRI show lesions including an MRI done in 1997, with the exception of the the last 2 which only show 2 small areas. Is it possible to have an MRI of the brain with no new lesions after all these years?

hackwriter responded:
Dear kshah,

It is certainly possible to have the majority of MS lesions occur in the spine. Your new neuro has probably seen a majority of his MS patients continue to develop new brain lesions over time, so calling your case atypical might simply mean atypical compared to what he usually sees. Looking broadly at all the MS cases in the world, I think it is safe to say that there is no such thing as a "typical" case of MS, we are all affected by this disease so differently.

Also, you might be able to give Copaxone some credit in reducing lesion activity, that is partly what it was designed to accomplish.

Kim

Rory26312 responded:
Hi kshah

At this stage we know that allthough MRI's are considered a diagnostic tool the do not tell the whole story . It is possible that he is reading them from a different perspective than your old neuro .

Another possibility is if you had the MRI done in a different facility it might not be as clear .

If the new neuro continues to say this then have every reviewed by a third one all the way back to 1997.

I would not give up medication at this stage if that is suggested because as Kim says it is due a lot of credit for your continued well being. By the way so are you for staying with the treatment plan, I know that it's not easy.

Let us know how this work's out as I find it interesting and it is nice to hear when one of us is doing well.

Rory

doggsbone responded:
yes it is possible but unlikley. diffrent neuros look at diffrent things in different ways. We do have the ability to heal ourselves, to get better despite the odds.That and there are so many factors that can effect an MRI.But hey don't get down they are not seeing it in your brain that is pretty good YEAH I agree with Rory it is relly good to hear one of us doing good

kshah0512 responded:
I do give credit to Copaxone, although my new neuro doesn't have alot of faith in it. Unfortunately, after 12 yrs on Copaxone I had to go off of it due to hives at injection sites. The hives gradually increased in size and I ended up with them every day. I was off treatment for 2 weeks before gradually starting on Avonex. Neuro did mention that the recent MRI's were done in the Open MRI due to claustrophobia, which might explain the lack of new lesions. I am scheduled for MRI's of brain, cervical and thoracic in the closed MRI to see if that shows more lesions. He also mentioned NMO, which is a type of MS that involves the T17 cells. If that is the case my research shows being on Avonex would cause MS symptoms to become worse. Believe me I am very pleased my MRI looks good, and I attribute that to Copaxone! I was treated for migraines from 12yrs to 21 yrs old. Then I was treated for TIA's for 10yrs. Then back to migraine treatment. I was finally diag. with MS. Now after 12 yrs of treatment I am told I may not have MS after all....I am in a whirlwind of emotions. Hopefully after new MRI's, NMO antibody blood tests and OCT testing I will have some idea of what is going on.

Thank you everyone for your responses and I would greatly appreciate any other comments, info, and suggests anyone has for me.

kshah0512 responded:
I went yesterday for my OCT testing to check optical nerve damage. My neuro had suggested this test because some MS patients who have been diagnosed for many years have damage to these nerves. I am happy to say I do not have any damage. However, I was very confused when the technician told me that the Dr. will usually send his patients for the OCT when there will be a treatment change. So confusion sets in again. Well should have some answers..hopefully soon. MRI of cervical and thoracic spine tomorrow and MRI of brain on Saturday.

Featuring Experts

Neil S. Lava, MD, is the director of the multiple sclerosis clinic at Emory University in Atlanta. He has been treating multiple sclerosis patients si...More

Helpful Tips

Repair the Myelin Sheath?
I'm no Dr. but this is what I did: The Myelin Sheath is made from 3 fatty acids- Omega 3 & 6 & DHA. There is aproduct called ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.