Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Multiple Sclerosis treatments?
RyanO768090 posted:
I take Gabapentin for my MS and numbness therein to no avail, what other drugs would be recommended?

hackwriter responded:
Ryan,

Anti-seizure drugs such as gabapentin and Lyrica are used to treat neuropathic pain. If you aren't feeling any relief you should contact your doc, you might need to increase the dose. You can safely take up to 3200 mg of gabapentin per day for MS neuropathic pain.

Personally, gabapentin did not help me even at the highest dose. Lyrica did help relieve my pain starting at 150 mg/day, however, and I topped out at 300 mg. I stopped taking it because of severe constipation, but it worked wonders for the neuropathic pain. Side effects can be so difficult.

Ask your prescribing doctor for advice about dosage and alternatives. Good luck!

Kim

RyanO768090 replied to hackwriter's response:
Thank you very much for your response, I hope Im not asking to much, though, do you know of any resources to reduce the price of Gabepentin, I currently have know job and this is quite an expensive pill. Thank you for all your help.

hackwriter replied to RyanO768090's response:
Ryan,

You might be thinking of Neurontin, the brand name, as being expensive. Gabapentin is the generic equivalent and therefore on the drug discount program lists at CVS, Walgreens, Kmart, etc. These discount programs usually require a nominal annual fee of around $15 and charge anywhere from $4 to $14.40 for a 30-day supply of gabapentin.

Hope this helps.

Kim

RyanO768090 replied to hackwriter's response:
Yeah Wallgreens is requesting 200 from me Ill have to mention this to them.
Ryan,
Thanks again,

Featuring Experts

Neil S. Lava, MD, is the director of the multiple sclerosis clinic at Emory University in Atlanta. He has been treating multiple sclerosis patients si...More

Helpful Tips

Help Our Community & Experts Help You - Please Read
Welcome to the WebMD Multiple Sclerosis Community! Please don't respond to this discussion. Instead, please read before you start your ... More
Was this Helpful?
106 of 108 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.