MS hug?
rwashington3430 posted:
What is a MS hug? I dont know if I what I'm experiencing is that or not. Its in my back around where my bra strap is and it HURTS! It started all of sudden and at moments its worse then others. Its not really around the front just in middle of back. I have taken some ibuprofen to see if that helps. Any suggestions would be great

hackwriter responded:
dear rwash,

What you describe could be the MS hug, which frequently starts in the back and can eventually encompass the entire midriff.

The MS hug is a spasm of the intercostal muscles that occupy the spaces between the ribs. It can be treated in a variety of ways: with anti-seizure drugs we take for neuropathic pain such as gabapentin or Lyrica; sedatives such as Ativan and Valium; an anti-depressant such as amitriptyline; analgesic creams rubbed directly onto the affected area (works faster than ingesting ibuprofen or Tylenol); and warm compresses applied to the affected area.

Tell your doctor about these new symptoms, he/she can advise you on a treatment plan, too. Hope you're feeling better soon.

Kim

kshah0512 responded:
rwashington3430

I find it interesting that I have only recently heard of the MS hug....I have experienced this for years and never made the connection and even the drs never made the connection. Warm compresses do help as hacker says. You may want to try wearing a sports bra...I tried wearing one about a month ago when the pain was intense and it does help somewhat.

rwashington3430 replied to kshah0512's response:
thanks for suggestions....i had thought of sports bra...im doing better, i think it was just my back spasmed for whatever reason whether it was ms related or not.