Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
repeat MRI
ALLrand posted:
Hello everyone!

My 1st brain MRI last March was negative for any disease. Still not feeling well, actually worse, so am thinking about asking my neuro to have another one (my ins. is different so shouldn't balk at being only 8 mos). Last MRI was a 1.5T power done at a commercial imaging center; don't know if the MRI sequence protocol was followed or not. This time will have done at the academic medical center where I see my Neuro (also where I work). Does it matter where you get MRI done? Is it reasonable to try for a 3T power?

Another question I have is about cancer. Would any MRI of the brain show cancer or is there a certain MRI method for looking for that? I have another "double cousin" who has brain cancer (metastasized from lungs). Her older sister died 18 years ago from brain cancer (which spread to lungs). Double cousin means we are 1st cousins related on both sides of the family (thereby sharing all the same ancestry). Thinking about asking for imaging of lungs and also hips, where my pain seems to be the most consistent and intense.

Thanks for your ideas!

Rand

hackwriter responded:
Dear Rand,

If you are being tested for MS you should also have a cervical spine MRI, have you had one? It is possible to have spine lesions and no brain lesions early on, that's how it was in my case. For some strange reason, a lot neuros only do a brain MRI for suspected MS, and they are remiss in doing so. Ask your doctor for a spine as well, and your brain should be scanned with and without gadolinium dye.

As far as 1.5T vs 3T MRIs, both can have adequate results when scanning for white matter lesions. The 3T can have better resolution and pick up smaller lesions, but you'll be hard pressed to find that strength, most commercial MRIs are 1.5T. That said, 1.5Ts generally do the job. Either way, outcome largely relies on the skill of the MRI tech and the radiologist who reads and interprets the scans.

Another point to consider is closed vs open MRI, and conventional thinking is that closed is better. See link below for a good overview of the pros and cons of these machines:
http://www.onecallmedical.com/PageContent/en-us/Documents/News%20Brief_Open_vs_Closed_8.2010.pdf

Hope this helps.

Kim

Featuring Experts

Neil S. Lava, MD, is the director of the multiple sclerosis clinic at Emory University in Atlanta. He has been treating multiple sclerosis patients si...More

Helpful Tips

the walking drug, ampyra
was diagnosedwith MS in 2000. my walking has been getting harder to do but i was still able to work. i recently had an exacerbation of my ... More
Was this Helpful?
51 of 62 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.