Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
MS
liveslife4me posted:
I just recently started copaxone and I was wondering if anybody that is on capaxone has had any flare ups of MS? Mine started with optic neuritis. I have never had any other symptoms. Thanks if anybody could answer this question.

hackwriter responded:
Dear lives,

I had a flare well into in my fourth year on Copaxone, after which I tried Rebif for a short time and then went on to Tysabri infusions for a year. I'm now waiting for an oral therapy called BG-12 to come on the market early next year. I tolerated Copaxone very well, much better than the interferons. I hope you do well with it.

Remember that our disease-modifying drugs were designed to slow the progression of the disease, reduce the number of new lesions, and reduce the number of flares, they were not designed to eliminate flares all together or to treat symptoms.

Many people do well with Copaxone and have significantly fewer flares. If you develop new symptoms, call your doctor right away. It wouldn't necessarily mean that Copaxone isn't working for you. Each of us has a different disease course, so it's important to work closely with your neuro on an individual treatment plan over the years as changes arise.

Kim

liveslife4me replied to hackwriter's response:
Thanks Kim, I am doing fine on copaxone, this is all new to me and don't really know anybody else with MS.

LiveLoveLaugh2 replied to liveslife4me's response:
Check to see if you have a local MS Society. I was diagnosed 6 years ago and basically kept it a secret until my walking and tripping/falling started taking over so now I just tell people (so they don't think I'm high or drunk). But I am very surprised to find out there are many people who either have a friend or family member with it.
So you don't really want to go around telling everyone, but it is more common than you may think.
You are not alone.

Featuring Experts

Neil S. Lava, MD, is the director of the multiple sclerosis clinic at Emory University in Atlanta. He has been treating multiple sclerosis patients si...More

Helpful Tips

Fatigue
Has anyone ever included bee pollen with their diet? I also take niacin. Bee pollen seems to have help me with the fatigue factor along ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.