Skip to content
How to tell relatives you have MS
mom24dogs posted:
Hello,

I was diagnosed February 2012 and only 2 distant relatives know about my MS. I'm single and all of my family lives out of state. The time has come to tell them but I'm not exactly sure how to start the conversation. We are all gathering in person and they know we will be having a "family discussion" but don't have a clue about the subject. My parents are in their 70's and worry like crazy about us 3 kids. Does any one have any suggestions on how to start the conversation? Are reactions good or bad when you are not necessarily a "close" family?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!!

hackwriter responded:
Dear mom,

Just tell it like it is. You have MS, briefly describe what it is, describe how it affects you personally, what treatments you are undergoing, then open it up for questions. You'll know how much to say by the looks on their faces and their reactions.

It'll take a while for this for sink in. They might not know how to react. It can take years for a family to get on board with this thing, so be patient. If you think it's appropriate, encourage them to educate themselves about it, you could suggest resources online, etc.

You'll be okay. Remember that you'll only have to break the news once, lol. I hope you'll let us know how it goes.

Kim

mom24dogs replied to hackwriter's response:
Thanks for the advice Kim but knowing my parents they will be devastated. How does the saying go - expect the worse but hope for the best. Will keep you all posted.

Susan

JustJeriLea responded:
Stay positive and tell them what is working. Remind them it is not cancer and lots of people live with it. Treatment is great, support group is really important. Just educate them so they know you don't want to be a burden & ask them to allow you to deal with some things different. Rest & Neutrition (NOT Diet) is important, and I have found that my 90 day challenge with body by Vi is fantastic. If you want more information let me know. Blessings Jeri
P.S. I am 55 and was diagnosed in 1993.
I went blind in one eye in 1989 & it came back (Optic Neuritis)
I was in a wheelchair for 6mos in 1998. KEEP a positive attitude. Good luck, let me know how things go. Find me on Facebook or www.heartscape.biz
GOD BLESS

jenniferlee0112 responded:
Your parents might be devastated, but they still need to know. Having family that can be there for you is important for you, and being able to explain why you're struggling with various symptoms is going to be important to them. I know nobody wants to be the bearer of bad news, but there are many good things that will come out of this discussion. Just think of the benefits of telling them -- for you and for them. They're entitled to a grieving process just like you were when you found out. Everyone deals with emotional pain differently. Good luck, and I wish the best for you.

http://www.www.FreebiesForMSers.org

Featuring Experts

Neil S. Lava, MD, is the director of the multiple sclerosis clinic at Emory University in Atlanta. He has been treating multiple sclerosis patients si...More

Helpful Tips

Help Our Community & Experts Help You - Please Read
Welcome to the WebMD Multiple Sclerosis Community! Please don't respond to this discussion. Instead, please read before you start your ... More
Was this Helpful?
106 of 108 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.