Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Balance from your spine?
mbbxtd posted:
I have MS lesions on spine, but several mri's of head show absolutely nothing. Main symptoms are in leg. But I have big balance problems, does anyone understand how your spine messes up your balance? I thought balance was in your head (ears mainly)

hackwriter responded:
Dear mb,

Have you had a cervical spine MRI? There might be lesions there. And yes, if you have leg weakness and spasticity, that can certainly mess with your balance. It does mine. If we turn suddenly, get up from a sitting position, or begin to walk forward after standing for a short time, our muscles won't respond the way they used to (because nerve signals from the CNS are short-circuiting) and a simple movement can be enough to throw everything out of whack and send us flying.

I've learned the hard way to take my time and slow down. Hope this helps.

Kim

mbbxtd replied to hackwriter's response:
I now have had an MRI from Head to tailbone, both with and without contrast. 6 separate MRI's, holy cow is this getting expensive! At least he is sure what he is looking at now. Nothing at all in my head and neck, only my mid back. I still don't understand why the middle of my back makes my balance messed up.

jenniferlee0112 responded:
Is it that you feel dizzy, or is it that you're having trouble walking. Like Hackwriter said, it could be that the lesions in your spine are causing issues with performance, which could give you a similar feeling of being out of balance. Also, MS does have the ability to affect one side of your body (like one leg) and not the other. I suppose there's also the possibility that there is a problem the MRI isn't picking up for some reason. MS is a mysterious and frustrating disease. I hope you get to the bottom of this with your doctor.

http://www.www.FreebiesForMSers.org

Rory26312 responded:
Hi

One possibity is Devic's syndrome . For a long time it was diagnosed as MS and then as a Sub-set or particular type of MS.

In the last couple of years neuro's have come to see it as a seperate disease with a different course from MS .

The reason I thought of it , is that it can present as liasons on the spine with balance promblems as a symptom . Typically liasons do not present in other parts of the Central Nervous System (CNS). The other main symptom is optic neurosis or (ON).

It does not respond well to the diease modifying therapies (DMT's) that are available for MS so treatment is mostly for symptoms if the present . Like MS a patient can go long periods between flairs .

I am not a doctor and am in no way trying to diagnse you but it something for you to dicuss with your neuro at your next visit assuming it has not being ruled out all ready. If that is the case ignore this and sorry to have wasted your time.

Rory

mbbxtd replied to Rory26312's response:
My DR has ordered a test for that, today actually, don't have any visual problems, but he is checking anyway. He said it is very rare, but so is first having symptoms of MS at age 51.
thanks for any info, no worries about wasting time, I have read everything I can find, and still have a million questions.
MB

Featuring Experts

Neil S. Lava, MD, is the director of the multiple sclerosis clinic at Emory University in Atlanta. He has been treating multiple sclerosis patients si...More

Helpful Tips

Fatigue
Has anyone ever included bee pollen with their diet? I also take niacin. Bee pollen seems to have help me with the fatigue factor along ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.