Skip to content
Future of MS treatment and cure
An_249342 posted:
Hello, I have a family member that was diagnosed with MS July 2011 with RRMS. He is taking Betaseron. He hasn't had any relapses but once back this past summer his arm was "tingly" for about 2 days but then it went away. My concern: do you feel that the researchers are making better progress in finding a cure for MS. I read so much about new medications that are coming on the market but they all will only keep the symptoms at bay, at best. I hope with all the new technology that the hope for a cure is coming soon. I am hopeful the nanoparticles and finding the fibrogen is like the right road for better treatment, but I realize this is not a cure. Your thoughts?

hackwriter responded:
Dear An_,

I'm glad to hear that your family member is doing well on Betaseron. Having symptoms such as tingling from time to time is normal for us and doesn't mean that our therapies aren't working. Disease-modifying therapies such as Betaseron were not designed to treat symptoms, they slow the progress of the disease over time and may reduce the number of new lesions and relapses.

Research is moving in promising directions. As science learns more, the treatments of the future will be tailored to the individual. Cell repair will become a big part of that. Although a cure isn't just around the corner, therapies will become safer and more effective.

I hadn't heard of the fibrinogen theory before, but I have found an abstract about it at the link below:
http://www.fluidsbarrierscns.com/content/8/1/25

This investigation may lead to some important breakthroughs some day, but time will tell. Multiple Sclerosis is a complicated disease.

Thanks for your interest.

Kim

jenniferlee0112 responded:
This is an excellent question. The truth is, scientists don't know all that much about the working of MS in the body. They only have vague ideas of what might cause it , or what might be risk factors. They're currently putting together these pieces of a very big, complicated puzzle. Until they know exactly what causes MS, the likelihood is that medications will be geared at keeping the symptoms at bay, rather than curing the disease.

The best thing MS sufferers can do for themselves in learn more about natural remedies for MS because it gives them more control over their quality of life. Adding lots of fresh fruit and vegetables might seem like a common sense thing for anybody, but for MS sufferers, it's crucial to help their bodies regenerate damaged cells.

http://www.www.FreebiesForMSers.org

Featuring Experts

Neil S. Lava, MD, is the director of the multiple sclerosis clinic at Emory University in Atlanta. He has been treating multiple sclerosis patients si...More

Helpful Tips

the walking drug, ampyra
was diagnosedwith MS in 2000. my walking has been getting harder to do but i was still able to work. i recently had an exacerbation of my ... More
Was this Helpful?
52 of 63 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.