Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
What now?
JohnnyOriley posted:
My girlfriend turned 30 last year. Works full time. Very active and seemed very healthy. Even at this past Thanksgiving (2 months ago) she was outside playing sneaks with the kids and not any symptoms what so ever.The Saturday after Thanksgiving she had what she described to me as a "spell" where she felt faint. As the week went on she began to have double vision and soreness in her spine. She was treated at 2 different hospitals for "dizziness over the next couple weeks and released each time. She has no insurance because the price of it is one of her two pay checks per month. As her soreness got worse and worse she became more shakey and finally the day after christmas her mother forced her to the ER. Her left eye did its own thing and she was in severe pain anytime she tried to look upwards. The ER flew her to Gates in Buffalo where she has been ever since. She has been on a treatment of steriods and this morning they finally told her it is MS... but what now? With treatment will she be like she was before Thanksgiving? How did this come to be so fast? I keep telling her she's had MS untreated and she will be fine once she gets treatment is this right? We know nothing about this and we are both scared. What happens next?

hackwriter responded:
Dear Johnny,

It is impossible to predict her disease course; she might have a full recovery, or she might be left with some permanent disability. Disease-modifying therapies are designed to slow the progression of the disease and reduce the number of new lesions and attacks. But they are not designed to treat symptoms. We do continue to have flares while on these medications.

Steroids quiet nerve inflammation and are very effective in shortening the duration of an attack, but they are not to be taken continuously and do not affect our disease course.

You and your girlfriend must educate yourselves about the disease and its treatments, there is a lot of info on the internet. See the WebMD info page on MS and visit the National Multiple Sclerosis Society website, the Mayo Clinic, the MS Association, MS Foundation, the NIH, the Cleveland Clinic, and MS forums such as this as well as Medhelp to read about patients' experiences and the treatments they find most effective. And ask her neurologist lots of questions, he/she should thoroughly explain what her treatments are for.

Hope this helps.

Kim

Featuring Experts

Neil S. Lava, MD, is the director of the multiple sclerosis clinic at Emory University in Atlanta. He has been treating multiple sclerosis patients si...More

Helpful Tips

Dreams: My Journey with Multiple Sclerosis
At seven years old I absolutely knew what I wanted to do with my life: become a performer and maybe head for Broadway! A basement ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.