Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Premature Menopause
An_249767 posted:
Does anyone know if MS causes premature menopause? I experience night sweats, hot flashes, low libido, more fatigue then usual, itchy and dry eyes, weight gain. Its very frustrating. I need advice.

hackwriter responded:
There is no evidence that MS causes hormone fluctuations, but it is apparent that hormones can have an effect on the severity of MS symptoms and frequency of flares. Pregnant women, for example, often experience a long remission and feel better throughout their pregnancies and for a while after they give birth.

All of the symptoms you describe: night sweats, hot flashes, low libido, fatigue, weight gain, eye problems--are typical of MS, I've battled them for years as have many others.

I use a fan to stay cool at night along with air conditioning, sleeping in a very cold room is much more comfortable for me. Fatigue I manage with lots of rest. Itchy, dry eyes: I take allergy pills and run a vaporizer in the winter.

Low libido: I developed it after my first MS attack at age 41, and, for years, wondered whether it was from depression or from MS-related loss of sensation. But a year ago, at age 54, my periods became irregular and my libido returned in full force, possibly from a spike in my testosterone. Now I can identify some loss of sensation, but I feel that there is a stronger connection between hormone levels and sex drive that will override MS-related nerve damage.

Weight gain is a constant battle; we age and our metabolism slows over time. We are less active because of the MS, so we gain. I've managed my weight gain by cutting calories below 1000 per day for weight loss and eating up to 1300 calories a day to maintain weight. I can eat anything in moderation. Aquatherapy/water aerobics is a great way to keep moving, it's much easier to move in the water.

Hope this helps.

Kim

Featuring Experts

Neil S. Lava, MD, is the director of the multiple sclerosis clinic at Emory University in Atlanta. He has been treating multiple sclerosis patients si...More

Helpful Tips

certified nursing assistant (CNA)
I am a care giver who have had vast experience with MS patient and i do travel with my client/s. If some one out there who is looking for a ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.