Skip to content
L.P. W/Fluroscopy
lepman posted:
Yesterday I finally had an L.P. with floroscopy done and even with that I heard the doc say that he was too far to the left and all of a sudden My left leg shot up and out and it felt like a lightning bolt shot through my leg and out of my toes....He said sorry I hit the nerve root and pulled the needle back and reentered.I only hope was the right thing to do....But no fluid was comming out after about two to three minutes he told me to bear down....I asked Bear down? what do ya mean bear down...He said to bear down Like I was takeing a dump....I kind of laughed and did what he wanted...It took a long time to get the fluid out and the ammount he wanted....

They asked me questions before the L.P. but never asked if I had any questions about it after it was done...I have a couple like How come my left leg feels like ice? and why is it now numb and sore( deep muscle ache) from the hip to my toes?...it it nromal to hit a nerve root while doing this proceedure under Fluroscopy? Why dose it feel like someone is hitting the small of my back with a two by four when I sit? I can How ever understand why It's very hard to bend over and that I can deal with...But should I be concerned about hitting the nerve root? can and or will this be permanet?

Although I never heard an Oops this time, I still had a bad feeling that something was going to happen....I guess there was one good thing ,I didn't get that headache alot of others were telling me about.....Just wish I had the chance to ask questions about the proceedure after it was over...

hackwriter responded:
Hi, lepman,

It's like hitting a nerve in any other part of the body and, though you'll be sore for a while, it's temporary. I've had good experiences with fluoroscopy after having some very bad ones with the traditional method. My back was sore for days after having some very painful and unsuccessful traditional LPs, and once, the nurse gave me percocet and Ativan immediately after one particularly painful LP.

Messing it up under fluoroscopy is probably unusual but not unheard of. Unfortunately, radiologists are not equally adept at these procedures. Did you call your doc afterwards and report the pain? You've got to take the initiative and not wait for them to follow up. They can't know of your lingering problems if you don't tell them.

Definitely call your neuro if your pain persists and you can't find relief with medications.

Kim

lepman replied to hackwriter's response:
Yes,I told them and have another appointment today Because I thought I got lucky with the headache thing but Nope,It slammed me with a vengance...Hopefuly it will resolve on it's own...But unfortuinatly I am allergic to almost all pain meds.....

Featuring Experts

Neil S. Lava, MD, is the director of the multiple sclerosis clinic at Emory University in Atlanta. He has been treating multiple sclerosis patients si...More

Helpful Tips

Fatigue
Has anyone ever included bee pollen with their diet? I also take niacin. Bee pollen seems to have help me with the fatigue factor along ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.