Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
MS Hug
eveningsun08 posted:
Hello all!

Can anyone tell what an MS Hug is and/or what it feels like?
Then pain is aweful!

eveningsun0823

Rory26312 responded:
Hello eveningsun

When it gets me (rarely) it feels like someone has caught my diaphram and is pushing it into my chest. it is painfull but does not cause any difficulty in breathing.

It is caused by a by a lesion that effects a cluster of nerves in the chest or adominal area and the then give you the feeling that everything is tight and pulling in . Some say it is more like someone is pushing out .

The lesion is located in the brain stem or top of the cervical spine but like most things in MS, it effects different parts of the body and all of us in different ways.

Mine is generally well controlled by a combination of baclofen and gabapentin but again that does not work for everyone.

I hate to say this but some neuros say it is not really a symptom of MS , well I for one disagree.

Hope this helps.

Rory

Featuring Experts

Neil S. Lava, MD, is the director of the multiple sclerosis clinic at Emory University in Atlanta. He has been treating multiple sclerosis patients si...More

Helpful Tips

Vitamin D
I've had MS since 2001 and had flare ups usually twice a year. Although I have mild MS with tingling and with flare up moderate pain I've ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.