Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Just who is it that reads the Lumbar puncture results?
lepman posted:
I saw My Neuro and he told me that He is unable to read the results from the lumbar puncture.....He told me that My proteen level is unusually high and my red blood cell count is also unsusually high...But the white blood cell count is good...? but he said he is un able to interpet these results....What is up with that? Just who is it that can interpet theses results....? He then told me he wants to send me to an E.N.T. Neurologist an Otoneruologist...?

He then wanted me to walk about with out my cane and after I walked back to the exam room he told me to stop and walk backwards...I thought to my self Hey thats New I never tried to do that sense this all first started..So I got one foot back and I thought this wont be so bad and when I went to put my other leg back I went down on my back...poor doc tried to catch me and so did a nurse and we all went tumbling down to the floor....

The doc got the worst of it and hurt his wrist real bad....And because it happened at the V.A. facility an accident report had to be made and he was now going to be the patient...Poor guy.......

Neil S Lava, MD responded:
Usually the neurologist is the person interpreting the spinal tap results. Sometimes it is not clear at first what the findings mean and other testing needs to be done to help put the findings in context to reach a diagnostic understanding.

Featuring Experts

Neil S. Lava, MD, is the director of the multiple sclerosis clinic at Emory University in Atlanta. He has been treating multiple sclerosis patients si...More

Helpful Tips

Dreams: My Journey with Multiple Sclerosis
At seven years old I absolutely knew what I wanted to do with my life: become a performer and maybe head for Broadway! A basement ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.