Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
MS - weight gain
daiseymae posted:
Hi, I'm new to this site, but have been reading the posts on weight gai & MS. I have had MS now for almost16yrs. I have put on 50lbs. during all this time. I have tried, Tops, I exercise at the gym, drink h2o, & have tried every method out there to lose weight to no avail. I am getting so disgusted. I am not on Rebif, or Copaxon, but am on Avonex injections 1 per. week. I can sympathize with everone of you with the same problem. My Dr. just says there is not a "magic" pill to lose weight, but I feel I am doing everything right and nothing is working. I wish someone had an answere as to why I can't lose weight. Nice to hear others have the same problem. Any comments? A.

hackwriter responded:
Hello daisy,

My weight has been up and down since I first developed MS in 1999. The initial weight gain back then was caused by steroids, and it took years to lose that weight.

Lack of exercise and aging have been my main challenge, which challenges everyone healthy or not. I'm now in my mid 50s and lost 22 lbs over the past year by eating very few calories. So I can still lose weight, but it's harder now. I have to eat less than 1,000 calories a day to achieve it, and eat 1,200-1,300 calories/day to maintain that weight loss.

I think there isn't much we can do besides eating less and staying active. Aging will slow our metabolism, some medications will make weight loss impossible, and lack of activity will shrink muscle mass and increase fat percentage. I have discovered aquatherapy/aerobics as a nearly effortless way to move my body without the stresses of gravity, and I do yoga stretching to help keep those stiff muscles from cramping so much.

As we age, we need to focus on keeping our limbs flexible, maintain adequate muscle mass and strength, and stay as healthy as possible. No woman on earth is going to feel good about being larger, but we can learn to dress our larger bodies well and feel good about ourselves in other ways. This is my focus now and I feel okay with it.

Kim

daiseymae responded:
Thank you for your reply. I am almost 66 yrs. old. I go to a fitness center 3 x's a week & walk in a mall 2 x's a week, may Dr. says Im very healthy except for my MS, so I guess I should be greatful for that. There's a lot of heart disease in my family, both parents died in their 60's. So I'll just keep plugging away, trying not to give up. This is a crazy disease, never know from one day to the next how we are going to feel, today is a bad day so I guess I just have to lay low. Nice to chat with you. daiseymae (Anna)

Featuring Experts

Neil S. Lava, MD, is the director of the multiple sclerosis clinic at Emory University in Atlanta. He has been treating multiple sclerosis patients si...More

Helpful Tips

Help Our Community & Experts Help You - Please Read
Welcome to the WebMD Multiple Sclerosis Community! Please don't respond to this discussion. Instead, please read before you start your ... More
Was this Helpful?
106 of 108 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.