Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Numbness, Tingling, but not weak. Is it MS?
tnshopper posted:
For 5 months, I had constant numbness and tingling up and down my legs and arms, down the back of my neck and across my face. My left side symptoms were worse, but I had the occasional numbness on my right side.

After the first month of this, I saw a neurologist and had a brain MRI. The MRI was negative, and I moved on, hoping that my symptoms (which began immediately after a vaccination) symptoms would go away.

Unfortunately, after about 6 weeks mostly symptom-free, all of my symptoms have returned. I've also made a connection with a back pain I was having before. The pain went away when I was symptom free, but it too is back. It feels like a bruise on one vertebrae.

I'm worried that I might have MS even though my brain MRI was negative. Should I get a spine MRI too?

Is it common to have these symptoms without any real muscle weakness. I feel tireder that usual, but not really weak. I'm 40 years old before these symptoms appeared, I exercised daily and felt perfectly health.

Could this be MS?

THANKS!

hackwriter responded:
Dear tns,

Anyone who is tested for MS should also have a spine MRI. Not only could you have spine lesions without having brain lesions, but a spine MRI would also reveal disc problems, nerve impingement, stenosis, tumors, and arthritic facet joints, all of which could cause your numbness and tingling. It can also reveal other organ abnormalities such as an enlarged thyroid and gallstones, things that might not even be symptomatic.

No one on this site can tell you whether you have MS based on the symptoms you've described, they are nonspecific, meaning they could be caused by any number of conditions. That's why it's important to get a full workup and start eliminating the possibilities (such as getting that spine MRI). And yes, it's possible for MS to present only as numbness and tingling in the early stages.

I hope it isn't MS, but if it is, know that you have support and resources right here on WebMD. Please do give us an update when you know more.

Kim

Featuring Experts

Neil S. Lava, MD, is the director of the multiple sclerosis clinic at Emory University in Atlanta. He has been treating multiple sclerosis patients si...More

Helpful Tips

Fatigue
Has anyone ever included bee pollen with their diet? I also take niacin. Bee pollen seems to have help me with the fatigue factor along ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.