Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
MRI did not show MS but all the symptoms are there
ashley121680 posted:
I am a 32 yr old woman with 2 kids. My husband recently left me because I was having serious issues that kept getting worse but he puts me off as a nutcase and nothing is wrong, i just want ppl to feel bad for me. My symptoms are, which have only been worsening, bladder leakage..numbness and tingling in all extremeties, falling randomly due to legs giving out, dizziness, vertigo, headaches (severe), lack of ability to think straight, lathargic, balance issues, and loss of hearing just to mention a few. I had a MRI of the brain w and w/out contrast coming back as normal. My neurologist is a nutcase, both my husband and I heard him say that if the brain came back ok, he was ordering a T-spine and C-spine because MS does not always show in the brain but now he denies ever saying that and it is not dictated in his notes. I have a family history of MS and all the symptoms. But now the MRI came back fine and he says it is stress and brushes me off. In the meantime, I have had my children taken away from me by their dad until I find out what is wrong and get help and I am now at a dead end. Everyone thinks I am crazy and making this all up (why I would do that I do not know) but now I am forced to seek another neurologist which I can not get into see until late April. I can not work, unless I find a job where it is exceptable to piss yourself and walk into walls and fall asleep randomly. I am at a dead end here and this alone is going to put me into depression. Let alone I am in severe pain much of the time and have nothing to take because this dr thinks I am nuts. I found out after I started seeing him that he has a horrible reputation for misdiagnosis and being a jackass. I just do not know what to do. I have Meniers Disease which causes some of the symptoms such as vertigo and headaches and balance issues but everything else can only be explained by damaged T-spine which I need a dr to order an MRI of...I understand people go years without a diagnosis but I can not wait years to get my kids back and now the whole family thinks I am crazy and don't feel the kids are safe with me until I find out what is causing my problems and start getting help for them. Anyone else have this sort of problem? I feel so alone with this. My husband left me and took the kids thinking I am a attention seeking, lying, making up symptoms (although he has seen me in action) and I just want ppl to feel bad for me. I feel so alone in so many ways right now. I do not have insurance and no income because no job will keep me. My husband thinks I just dont want to work. Rediculous. I am a paralegal and made good money. If I could work I would! I just need support and have NONE because no one understands the severity of the Meniers Disease and passes me off as a loon now that the MRI shows nothing =/

hackwriter responded:
Dear Ashley,

My heart goes out to you for having lost so much over these undiagnosed symptoms. My husband recently left me after two years of marriage and cited my disease as the reason for his resentment (though I'd had the diagnosis and been treated for it for some time--with no real crises during the time we were together). The abandonment was a grievous shock. I got over it quickly, though. Do we really want that kind of husband in our lives? Despite the financial hardships, we are better off without them.

Which brings me to the financial hardship: I was two years without insurance several years ago, and I did find charity care. Start by contacting your county health and human services department, the county should have a free clinic. There you can get basic medical care and ask for a referral to a neurologist who does pro bono work, they might know of other organizations that can help.

Another option is private charity clinics. These are often funded by a religious organization. I found one in a neighboring county and saw a neurologist and GP free of charge. They sent me to a nearby Catholic hospital that had a Care for the Poor program, and there I had free MRIs, blood tests, even a free colonoscopy. It takes some research, but it's worth the trouble. There is help out there for uninsured patients.

About doctors: Yes, I, too, saw a neuro during my initial attack, who chalked it up to stress and dismissed me (as well as a few other health care professionals) but I persisted until I found a neuro who took me seriously. I had no brain lesions but I did have two C-spine lesions. No diagnosis, though, until six years later--and that is also a typical story.

So many of us have to run the gauntlet of careless doctors; scared, unsupportive loved ones; isolation and abandonment, guilt, anger and anguish on our way to finding the answers. I've heard many horror stories--so, you're not alone.

I hope you'll soon find some resources and get in to see another neurologist. Feel free to come back here anytime to vent, ask questions, and tell us how you feel.

Kim

Rory26312 responded:
Hi Ashley

I have nothing to add to Kim's reply but I just want you to know that we are here to help in any way we can.

On the Meniers front a brother of mine has it and he has found that valium helps to keep it controlled so it may be worth a shot if you have not tried it .

Hopefully you will be able to get the care you need with Kim's suggestions, if you do try to get some counciling as well . We will help all we can but with all you have going on some professional help is needed .

Stay in touch and try to stay strong

Rory

glory26 responded:
hi, Ashley, I am so sorry, I feel for you. I am dealing with the all the symptoms too. and my livein partner just says there is nothing wrong with you, and he has a drinkin problem so when hes drunk he says mean things that really make my problems worse. im unemployed too, and have been for a year and a half and today I have had a severe head and eye pain for the last 3 days..in the process of finding a new doc, the last one jus says I think its lupus and you need to eat right, what the heck I do. im 36 and been to several doctors over the course of the years and starting to fall into a deep depression again. im lucky though I still have my kids, gosh girl my heart goes out to you. I also have dizziness, problems walking, muscle spasms, head hurts ALOT!, always tired, constipation, frequent urination, limbs hurt, jus everything seems like. I wish I could feel like me again. it seems like im losin myself..jus want to find a doc to help me. if you ever need someone to talk to, let me know, god bless!

Featuring Experts

Neil S. Lava, MD, is the director of the multiple sclerosis clinic at Emory University in Atlanta. He has been treating multiple sclerosis patients si...More

Helpful Tips

Repair the Myelin Sheath?
I'm no Dr. but this is what I did: The Myelin Sheath is made from 3 fatty acids- Omega 3 & 6 & DHA. There is aproduct called ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.