Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Burning Feet - MS or What?
beckytoney posted:
I've had Multiple Sclerosis since '88, and it's the standard Relapsing/ Remitting kind. About 4 years ago, though I started having burning in my feet, and I think it was around the time my lower legs and feet started to swell a lot.

Does anyone know what the cause of this burn is? I take Lyrica to make the pain manageable. Any info would be gladly welcomed.

hackwriter responded:
Dear Becky,

If you're taking Lyrica and it is helping to ameliorate that burning, then it is neuropathic pain. Our scarred nerves misfire, causing a variety of phantom sensations such as burning pain, creepy-crawly sensations, sharp electrical stabbing pain, tingling, buzzing, a bruised feeling, a tightness around the rib cage, and the list goes on.

Swelling can be caused by medications or happen because of a lack of activity. I've battled swelling in one ankle, and in my case it was simply the result of sitting too long. After I began to get up and walk around at regular intervals and to elevate my legs for periods of time each day, the swelling disappeared.

Hope this helps.

Kim

beckytoney replied to hackwriter's response:
Kim: Thank you. I guess I kept thinking it was somehow another "challenge", and not MS. I just keep having to have the dosage of the Lyrica increased because about every 6 months, the dosage I was taking just isn't enough, and the doc increases it.

I have learned that if I do more walking, even on my treadmill (boring!) that the swelling is less. I try to do everything I can to stay mobile, because I see hints of my right leg, usually my better one, getting worse. Ampyra definitely has helped though.

Featuring Experts

Neil S. Lava, MD, is the director of the multiple sclerosis clinic at Emory University in Atlanta. He has been treating multiple sclerosis patients si...More

Helpful Tips

Wealth of vitamin D and MS information
There is a lot of information on vitamin D and MS at VitaminDWiki. Shortcut to the MS material is http://tinyurl.com/MSVitaminD . You ... More
Was this Helpful?
24 of 31 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.