Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
lesions brain
An_250655 posted:
hi im new to this website, i have a question. back in dec 2012 i was in observation due to creepy crawling on my left side of the brain, i had a cat scan that show a spot on my right brain, the neurologist question posible ms. had an mri of the brain which show lesions and inflammation on my right side doctor stated that might be ms, then he send me for a spinal tap which the test came back negative. he wants me to go for another mri and my question is why. can you have ms even if the spinal tap came back negative, can the lesion be something else. help

hackwriter responded:
Yes to both questions. Brain lesions have many possible causes. Creepy-crawly sensations can, too. And you can have MS, even get an MS diagnosis, with a negative spinal tap.

Diagnostic testing for MS should always include both brain and spine MRIs. A CT scan is not the test of choice for neurological problems, it isn't reliable for revealing demyelinating lesions. You should have two brain MRIs, one with contrast and one without.

An MS diagnosis is made after several different tests are done, which include MRIs; a neurological exam that evaluates coordination, balance, strength, and reflexes; a spinal tap that looks for inflammation in the spinal fluid; and evoked potentials that measure the speed of electrical impulses from the eye to the brain (and from the ear to the brain).

Logging a symptom history and tracking the patient over time with repeated testing is usually how it goes and a diagnosis can take a long while for some of us. Multiple Sclerosis is hard to diagnose, there are many conditions that can cause similar symptoms. An MS diagnosis involves a process of elimination; it's MS if it can't be anything else.

Hope this helps.

Kim

Featuring Experts

Neil S. Lava, MD, is the director of the multiple sclerosis clinic at Emory University in Atlanta. He has been treating multiple sclerosis patients si...More

Helpful Tips

Wealth of vitamin D and MS information
There is a lot of information on vitamin D and MS at VitaminDWiki. Shortcut to the MS material is http://tinyurl.com/MSVitaminD . You ... More
Was this Helpful?
24 of 31 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.