Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
MS related "weakness"
lil_c posted:
Hello. All. I have RRMS, dx in 2004, been on Copaxone (when I've had insurance) ever since.
My sx have been mostly sensory and annoying, but things are changing now. Last evening I was opening tubes of paint (art paint) and my left hand was oddly uncooperative. It would not grab the cap tightly enought to unscrew it. Fortunately my right hand has not gone rogue and I got the paints open!
It feels very strange, not actually WEAK, just, well, unwilling to do what I want it to do. And the "bottom half" of my hand has been numb for a week or so, but that comes and goes and is not new.
Just wondering if this sounds familiar?

Thank you!

hackwriter responded:
You should report these changes to your neurologist if your symptoms last more than about 48 hours--and that counts if they come and go, too. It could indicate that you're having a flare. Your neuro might want to see you for a clinical exam and possibly more, maybe an MRI to check for new lesions.

We tend to blow off changes and wait for them to pass, thinking "this must be my new normal." But experience has taught me to not to ignore changes if they last more than a day or two. I hope you make that call.

Kim

lil_c replied to hackwriter's response:
Thanks, Kim, (my name is also Kim!)

The day after I posted my hand was behaving again. But today my entire arm is jacked up. I had decided that I really must call my neuro. Thanks for affirming my decision.

I had a brain and C-spine MRI 2 months ago and an L-spine MRI 2 weeks ago, and I'm in the VA medical system. I'm betting it is unlikely they'll do another one so soon, but neuro did tell me to call if I have an attack. This is scary to me, so believe me, I'm calling Monday morning!!!

gorgeouslytired responded:
That happens to me all the time! It feels almost has I'm getting arthritis or something. Sometimes it's really hard for me to open water bottles or even cutting vegetables.

Featuring Experts

Neil S. Lava, MD, is the director of the multiple sclerosis clinic at Emory University in Atlanta. He has been treating multiple sclerosis patients si...More

Helpful Tips

Vitamin D
I've had MS since 2001 and had flare ups usually twice a year. Although I have mild MS with tingling and with flare up moderate pain I've ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.