Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Avonex shot allergic reaction?
freckles1963 posted:
Hi there......I have had MS for 6 yrs now and have been on the Avonex shot the whole time. Just these last 2 months my whole body aches and hurts to move and it is getting worse day by day and I am getting scared that something is really wrong now? One of my Neuro Drs thinks it may be an allergic reaction to the shot? Does this sound possible after so many yrs? I am really bad off.......can hardly walk now and they r going to get me in on Monday some how squeeze me in to see my Primary Dr. One Neuro Dr wants me to skip my next shot to see if that helps with the awful pain....

thanks for listening!
annie

Rory26312 responded:
Hi Annie

I have been on Avonex since my diagnosis eleven years ago and have never had your sort of problem with it.

Have you had your Avonex anti-bodies checked lately it is possible that your body is processing the Avonex wrong. I presume that blood liver work is done every three months and normal , if it is not then you should change treatments anyway.

Have the done MRI's to see if there is progress in the MS liasion load as it is possible that the MS is causing all this, again if this is the case you need to change.

Personally I would consider changing no matter what . There are many other options so why suffer if it is avoidable.

Hope this helps

Rory

Featuring Experts

Neil S. Lava, MD, is the director of the multiple sclerosis clinic at Emory University in Atlanta. He has been treating multiple sclerosis patients si...More

Helpful Tips

Help Our Community & Experts Help You - Please Read
Welcome to the WebMD Multiple Sclerosis Community! Please don't respond to this discussion. Instead, please read before you start your ... More
Was this Helpful?
105 of 107 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.