Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Desert Storm Veteran asking of the probability exposures contributing to obtain MS.
VeteranAdvocate posted:
I have been treated for Multiple Sclerosis for over 8 years. I have over 12 plaque lesions in my brain cavity, yet none in my spinal cord. My Primary Neurologist advised I have Progressive Relapsing form of MS. There has been no Neuro illnesses on both sides of our family in 4 generations. These are the medications and exposures during first Deployment;
  1. Anthrax Vaccine injected - Direct Orders - not of what is given now
  2. Pyridostigmine Bromide pill - Direct Orders
  3. Siren Gas (Nerve Agent)
  4. Pesticide Repellents to include high percentage of Deet
  5. Depleted Uranium
  6. Numerous Chemical Alarms sounding off repeatedly
  7. Outdoors when Unit (Patriot) shot 3 SCUD missiles down
  8. US Air Force disbursement of pesticides
  9. Inhaled smoke from oil fires
  10. inhaled smoke of 2 parts diesel 1 part Gasoline burning burning human waste.
  11. In sandstorms numerous times - ended up with an undiagnosed facial rash
  12. Down range in "Safe Zone" with Radar active
I recently was admitted onto the hospital due to a severe astribation. Due to the type of MS my fatigue has worsened. Soon to be ending the "Battle After the War" with the Veterans Administration will relieve much stress I bare. There are many other illnesses that I deal with on daily bases. Most to which are rare, as of Progressive Relapsing MS, yet denied by the VA. I have only been going through this for 6 years, but what is right is right. I have conducted over 10 years of research regarding Gulf War Illness, now called Chronic Multisymptom Illness. As my username is Veteran Advocate, I do what I can to assist any Veteran I can. I hope that you can give a hint of light on this subject for me. I thank you all for your time and interest, John

hackwriter responded:
Dear John,

Several Gulf War vets have posted here about their travails with the VA and their MS, some of whom have told some pretty sad stories.

I don't know much about this except that the Department of Veterans Affairs does not consider MS to be a "presumptive illness" in connection with the Gulf War--though ALS is considered a presumptive illness. Everything else must be proven to have a scientific, irrefutable connection to the toxic exposure suffered by those veterans. I don't know what studies they are basing the ALS determination on that have shown a clear connection and I haven't researched it.

Maybe someone with more knowledge will share their insights.

Kim

Anon_157363 responded:
I'am also Desert Storm, Desert Shield Vet. and have been battleing problems for over 3 plus years, and as of yet, still remaine undiagnossed by any doctor from the V.A. or other wise. Lets just say I have exhausted every avenue civilian and V.A. connected, DAV and a host of other supposed Veteran agencies to get anywhere with diagnosis and or trearment of this condition that I am currently going through.

We were and still are the governments guinnie pigs, just like many other Vets from other theaters of operation many years ago. With plausable deniability, they (The Gonernment) hides behind an iron curtian of denile and brurocratic red tape to protect them selfs from any and all accountability. Then tell you later that thier actions were justified, or that the National Security interists were or are at stake.

It is in my personal opinion, that if you feel that it is service connected in any way shape or form, Get outside help,Don't use the V.A. system. Really, I mean that whole heartedly, they will just keep adding to your missory, and drag it out as long as they can. Hopeing that you will just give up. You need to find out what it is first and start getting treatment, then go for the service connection part of it.

Because once it's exposed they cannot deny or hide it, and the help and treatment will come much faster.

lepman responded:
Hey from a vet to a vet check this out please....

http://owndoc.com/lyme/multiple-sclerosis-is-lyme-disease-anatomy-of-a-cover-up/

Featuring Experts

Neil S. Lava, MD, is the director of the multiple sclerosis clinic at Emory University in Atlanta. He has been treating multiple sclerosis patients si...More

Helpful Tips

Dreams: My Journey with Multiple Sclerosis
At seven years old I absolutely knew what I wanted to do with my life: become a performer and maybe head for Broadway! A basement ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.