Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
No Insurance/Need help with diagnosis of MS
carrielk52 posted:
I am 60. For the past 4 months I have had balance problems, stumbling frequently, blurred vision to where I just feel like I have to constantly rub my eyes to see more clearly. I have fallen 3 times. My left big toe has been numb for 2 months (I do not have any sugar problems) and now for the past 5 days I have numbness across the whole middle section of my belly, about 10 inches across and about 3 inches up from the belly button. It started out on day 1 just itching a lot and the next day the numbness started. It still itches even though it's numb. My arms and hands are also numb every morning when I wake up but within minutes the feeling is normal. I am tired a lot, have trouble remembering, can't seem to focus at times, get terrible muscle cramps in my inner thigh, bladder control issues, in the morning I feel kind of shaky inside and I can see my hands shake. I did have my thryoid removed 10 yrs ago and have been on meds for that, 125mcg of Levothyroxin which has seemed to work really well for me. I don't have any other health issues. We have no health insurance so going to a Dr for an MRI is out of the question. Are there any support groups out there that I can get more info from?

hackwriter responded:
Dear carrie,

You must be seeing a doctor for the levothyroxine script, so you should start there; report your symptoms to your doc, there are many conditions that can cause them besides MS. If the doctor wants you to see a neurologist, explain your circumstances, he/she might be able to suggest some resources.

You could check into your county Health and Human Services department free medical clinic for low income/uninsured people. I received a free PAP/Pelvic and mammogram through my county free clinic when I was uninsured.There are also private charity clinics, look in the phone book and ask around. I took advantage of both these resources when I was uninsured and found a neurologist and GP at a private, religiously-funded clinic in a neighboring county.

Catholic hospitals have Care for the Poor programs; If you qualify, you could get free blood tests and MRIs. I also took advantage of this resource when I was uninsured. I even got a free colonoscopy.

It takes doing some research to find charity care, but it does exist and it is worth the effort. Start with your county HHS and then go from there.

Hope this helps.

Kim

carrielk52 replied to hackwriter's response:
Kim, that you so much, you don't know how much this info helps me, for now and in the future. I did get my dr to see me today at a discounted price and she thinks I might have diabetes, and if not, then she'll look into other diagnosis.

thanks again!

Featuring Experts

Neil S. Lava, MD, is the director of the multiple sclerosis clinic at Emory University in Atlanta. He has been treating multiple sclerosis patients si...More

Helpful Tips

Help Our Community & Experts Help You - Please Read
Welcome to the WebMD Multiple Sclerosis Community! Please don't respond to this discussion. Instead, please read before you start your ... More
Was this Helpful?
106 of 108 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.