Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
TECFIDERA
patmonk posted:
For decades our government has been pouring billions into research on Cancer, MS and multiple other conditions, quite frankly I think we have got comparatively little bang for our bucks. More and more products from BigPharma which generate enormous profits while patients still suffer and are subjected to many horrible and dangerous side effects.
Surely the time has finally come when we should AT LEAST be funding objective research into other approaches. Regardless of your personal prejudices this AT LEAST warrants further investigation.
www.cannabissearch.com/medical_benefits/multiple-sclerosis
Just my 2c.
Patrick Monk. RN Hospice Case Manager. SF. Ca. USA.

hackwriter responded:
Dear patmonk,

The title of your post led me to believe that you were going to discuss the latest news about Tecfidera, and specifically, those European PML cases among patients who took Fumaderm to treat their psoriasis.

As you are an RN Hospice Case Manager, I was hoping you would share your unique point of view and some thoughtful analysis concerning the circumstances of those PML cases. Fumaderm is a different compound than Tecfidera, though both contain dimethyl fumarate. Those PML cases were patients who had low white cell blood counts after having taken immunosuppressive drugs for conditions not associated with Multiple Sclerosis--and who were JCV-positive.

The press we've read about Fumaderm and PML came out soon after the FDA approved Tecfidera for MS therapy. Those of us who have closely followed the clinical trials for BG-12 over the past two years have been excited about its stellar safety profile. I for one had decided to try it upon its approval. But now, I will delay that decision after I see some post-marketing data and investigation by Biogen idec.

I hope you will come back and give us your two cents about the Tecfidera controversy.

Kim

Featuring Experts

Neil S. Lava, MD, is the director of the multiple sclerosis clinic at Emory University in Atlanta. He has been treating multiple sclerosis patients si...More

Helpful Tips

Help Our Community & Experts Help You - Please Read
Welcome to the WebMD Multiple Sclerosis Community! Please don't respond to this discussion. Instead, please read before you start your ... More
Was this Helpful?
105 of 107 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.