Skip to content
tmaxwell24 posted:
I'm having pain and numbness in my right arm/hand and it's also burning. Is this a sign of an exacerbation? I haven't really had one in two years. I can't get an appointment with my neuro or anyone in his office till tomorrow. Should I just go to the hospital?
hackwriter responded:
Dear tmaxwell24,

The ER might do a lot more than give you steroid treatment if you complain of pain and numbness in your arm (I'm thinking cardiac testing), but when you tell them you have MS and this might be a flare, they might advise you to keep your doc appointment anyway. You'd be there a long time, possibly get a lot of other tests to make sure it isn't a heart attack/stroke, and you might wind up getting the same steroid treatment your doc would give you.

What's more, depending on your insurance, the ER visit might cost you more than the doctor appointment. An ER visit is always the most expensive route to go.

It's up to you, but I would wait and see the neurologist.


Featuring Experts

Stephanie knows multiple sclerosis as a patient and as a nurse. Stephanie was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis in 2013. Shortly after being diagnosed...More

Helpful Tips

certified nursing assistant (CNA)
I am a care giver who have had vast experience with MS patient and i do travel with my client/s. If some one out there who is looking for a ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.