Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Exacerbation?
tmaxwell24 posted:
I'm having pain and numbness in my right arm/hand and it's also burning. Is this a sign of an exacerbation? I haven't really had one in two years. I can't get an appointment with my neuro or anyone in his office till tomorrow. Should I just go to the hospital?

hackwriter responded:
Dear tmaxwell24,

The ER might do a lot more than give you steroid treatment if you complain of pain and numbness in your arm (I'm thinking cardiac testing), but when you tell them you have MS and this might be a flare, they might advise you to keep your doc appointment anyway. You'd be there a long time, possibly get a lot of other tests to make sure it isn't a heart attack/stroke, and you might wind up getting the same steroid treatment your doc would give you.

What's more, depending on your insurance, the ER visit might cost you more than the doctor appointment. An ER visit is always the most expensive route to go.

It's up to you, but I would wait and see the neurologist.

Kim

Featuring Experts

Neil S. Lava, MD, is the director of the multiple sclerosis clinic at Emory University in Atlanta. He has been treating multiple sclerosis patients si...More

Helpful Tips

Fatigue
Has anyone ever included bee pollen with their diet? I also take niacin. Bee pollen seems to have help me with the fatigue factor along ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.