Skip to content
Health Insurance
Anon_33116 posted:
Is it possible to get health insurance if you have MS. If so, can anyone recommend an insurer or let me know where to start. I am on disability and my Cobra is coming to an end and I need insurance. Any help would be welcomed,

hackwriter responded:
If you are on SSDI, you'll become eligible for Medicare 24 months after you began receiving your disability benefits.

Uninsured patients can contact your local county Health and Human Services Dept. for info on free medical care for low-income people at their county community clinics. Private charity organizations also provide free medical care. Catholic hospitals all have a Care for the Poor program for uninsured and/or indigent patients, which cover blood tests, MRIs, and other services.

On January 1, 2014, insurance will become available for all Americans under the Affordable Care Act. Read an excerpt of the details below:

https://www.pcip.gov/

"Starting next year, the Affordable Care Act guarantees that all Americans — regardless of their health status or pre-existing conditions — will finally have access to quality, affordable coverage. People will be able to apply for affordable health insurance coverage choices in Health Insurance Marketplaces when open enrollment begins on October 1. The Health Insurance Marketplace will offer a choice of quality, affordable health plans. Coverage begins on January 1, 2014. Visit www.healthcare.gov to learn more about the Marketplace."

Hope this helps.

Kim

AuntyTess replied to hackwriter's response:
Thanks Kim, I will start to look into this. I am on Tysabri and Ampyra and I know that the different companies will pay for these for a little while, but I do need insurance for regular doctors etc. Thanks again. Tess

Featuring Experts

Neil S. Lava, MD, is the director of the multiple sclerosis clinic at Emory University in Atlanta. He has been treating multiple sclerosis patients si...More

Helpful Tips

Help Our Community & Experts Help You - Please Read
Welcome to the WebMD Multiple Sclerosis Community! Please don't respond to this discussion. Instead, please read before you start your ... More
Was this Helpful?
106 of 108 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.