Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
why me?
An_251922 posted:
WHy did I get MS. i am not enjoying it and everyone give me trouble. my only support i have is from my mom. Hubby says i keep playing the MS card. Work is giving me trouble. Stressing me out that i just can't take it anymore. Then i have some of these relapses.
In the Month of April alone i have had trouble with walking last time was 2 weeks ago where i just calapse and could not stand. back in the month of Feb i had problems with my eye sight. i don't know what to do or where to ture or what do i need to do to get the respect that i deserve.

hackwriter responded:
Dear anon,

So sorry to hear of your troubles--and, unfortunately, you are not alone with these particular ones. A lack of support and understanding from our loved ones and our workplace adds more stress to an already stressful life with MS. Most of us face these stresses starting in the early stages of the disease.

It's good that you have the support of your mother and can lean on her. There are steps you can take to bring more support into your life and reduce the stress. If you can find a local MS support group to attend, this can be a good source of friendship, understanding, and information. Contact your local chapter of the National Multiple Sclerosis Society for a list of groups at:

http://www.nationalmssociety.org/index.aspx

Spouses are welcome at these meetings, so it can also be an opportunity for your husband to learn more about the disease and how it affects you. I hope you have stood your ground and let him know that you need his understanding and support and that his attitude is hurting you. It can take a long time for our loved ones to learn how to cope with our disease. All we can do is be patient and wait--or we can think about whether this relationship is worth maintaining.

Posting on MS online forums is a good way to build a network of new friends. Seeing a counselor for individual therapy is also an option to consider when you're feeling very isolated and alone.

If you are struggling to work a full-time job, you might consider filing a Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) claim. See the http://www.ssa.gov/ website for information on filing. Your neurologist will help you with some of the paperwork.

Hope this helps. Feel free to come back and vent or ask questions any time. That's what we're here for.

Kim

Featuring Experts

Neil S. Lava, MD, is the director of the multiple sclerosis clinic at Emory University in Atlanta. He has been treating multiple sclerosis patients si...More

Helpful Tips

Dreams: My Journey with Multiple Sclerosis
At seven years old I absolutely knew what I wanted to do with my life: become a performer and maybe head for Broadway! A basement ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.