Skip to content
Starting Avonex--what can I expect and what do you do re: the flu-like symptoms?
maggiemacall posted:
I have read different solutions for treatments for side effects for Avonex. What works best for you? I'm trying to get a head start on answers; I don't start it for two weeks.

I'm also starting Acthar in one week. I have been on Copoxone, Betasarone, with SoluMedrol infusions and now I am relapsing again everywhere.

Rory26312 responded:
Hi Maggie

I have a concern about you starting on Avonex , betasarone and Avonex are both interfurons all be the are different dosage amounts. I am just wondering why your neuro thinks Avonex will work when betasarone didn't. If you have allready disscussed this well then it is a mute point.

I have been on Avonex since my diagnosis twelve years ago and it has worked really well for me. The first thing you will have to work out is an injection schedule. By this I mean picking a time of the week and a time of the day when the side effects (if any) will have least interference with your life .Yes I know finding that thirty seconds will be hard.

For coping with the side effects themselves I have always found that Tylenol before the shot helps. For a long time I kept an extra two and a glass of water on the bedside table just in case. I also knew where to find an extra blanket .

Make sure the script is for the Avonex pen , it is a recent improvement on the injection system and I do mean an improvement.

Your neuro's office should take care of all your training and be able to answer all of your concerns.

Let us know how you are doing and I hope this helps

Rory

Featuring Experts

Neil S. Lava, MD, is the director of the multiple sclerosis clinic at Emory University in Atlanta. He has been treating multiple sclerosis patients si...More

Helpful Tips

Vitamin D
I've had MS since 2001 and had flare ups usually twice a year. Although I have mild MS with tingling and with flare up moderate pain I've ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.