Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
recently diagnosed
kimber0317 posted:
Hello! i have been recently diagnosed May 9th , I am 40 yrs married with old two young children who are very active and a teacher . I am very scared and worried and just need some help understanding what i am going through. My symptoms started 2 yrs ago when i lost my vision and had blurry vision for almost five days. Since then I have had about 12 relapses that include tremors, cognitive situations, twitching of eyes,blurry vision, sensitivity to touch. I am wonder do the relapses mean i am getting more lession. I am wondering how do i know if this is normal ms pain or normal i am 40 and getting older pain. I love the ms manager app because it helps me see that my pains aren't everyday. so I really suggest that to anyone who is not using try it out. please give me suggestions on what you do to make it through spiritually, physically, and mentally.

hackwriter responded:
Dear kimber,

You've mentioned having had 12 relapses in two years, and that is a concern. That's an average of six relapses per year, or one every other month, and that is a very high relapse rate. Have you reported these to your neurologist? Which disease-modifying therapy are you taking?

If indeed your neurologist is aware of these relapses, he should have reviewed the efficacy of your drug therapy long before now. Our drugs are designed to reduce the number of relapses, so in your case, the therapy isn't doing its job.

Moreover, you should be having MRIs at least once a year, perhaps more often if you are relapsing so frequently. That is the only way to know whether your lesion load is increasing along with those frequent relapses.

As far as your symptoms go, pain is something most of us experience and there are drugs that will help. Tell your doctor about your pain. If NSAIDs (Tylenol, ibuprofen) don't relieve it then ask your doc about taking gabapentin and Lyrica, both will relieve neuropathic pain.

The key to coping well with our disease is all about taking care of ourselves: getting enough rest, eating right, taking our meds as directed, and managing stress. Your desire to remain active and busy is a good sign that you are driven to lead as normal a life as possible. Stay active and work for as long as you can. You'll be okay.

It's scary and stressful in the early stages, but as time goes on you'll get used to the ups and downs and feel calmer about the future. Be sure to keep track of your symptoms and report any worsened or new symptoms to your doctor if they last more than 48 hours.

Kim

Featuring Experts

Neil S. Lava, MD, is the director of the multiple sclerosis clinic at Emory University in Atlanta. He has been treating multiple sclerosis patients si...More

Helpful Tips

Dreams: My Journey with Multiple Sclerosis
At seven years old I absolutely knew what I wanted to do with my life: become a performer and maybe head for Broadway! A basement ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.