Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Humira Pen for MS treatment
Billie33 posted:
Hi. My boyfriend has MS (was diagnosed 15 years ago) and he has been using the Humira Pen 40MG for almost 2 years. In my opinion his MS symptoms got worse once he started the pen, but in his opinion, his MS got worse a few weeks before, which is why he went on the pen. Today I am researching side effects of the Humeria Pen and I see that it CAUSES MS symptoms (numbness, tingling, dizziness, vision problems, stiffness, etc.), it doesn't cure them - these are all complaints my boyfriend commonly has. Why would an MS doctor put my boyfriend on this medication, and how can I convince my boyfriend to try something else, when he is so hard headed about using this medication? Am I not understanding something about the benefits of Humira Pen for MS treatment? I can't deny I'm being a little selfish since I noticed he got impotent once he started the pen, yet sexual side effects are never mentioned for Humira. I feel his overall MS symptoms have gotten worse since this medication, but again, he said he has a relapse a few weeks before starting Humira. Please advise.

hackwriter responded:
Dear Billie,

Are you very sure he is on the Humira pen and not the Avonex pen? Humira treats rheumatoid arthritis, plaque psoriasis and Crohn's disease.

I've never heard of Humira being used off-label to treat MS, and I can't think why it would even be a consideration since we have several drugs such as Avonex that are either sub-q or intramuscular injectibles with proven track records for effectively treating Relapsing-Remitting MS.

Kim

Neil S Lava, MD responded:
If he is using Humira and he should question why this choice for multiple sclerosis. Humira is not used for multiple sclerosis and should not be used for this disease.

Billie33 replied to hackwriter's response:
Yes, it's the Humira pen. It's part of a drug trial study.

Billie33 replied to Neil S Lava, MD's response:
Humira pen is being used off label as part of a drug trial my boyfried took part in (we live in Buffalo, NY). It was modified into the now Tecfidera (BG-12). My boyfriend is waiting to see if his insurance will approve use of BG-12. Until then, he is still taking Humira and the drug trial study is paying for it.

hackwriter replied to Billie33's response:
Billie,

Thanks for the clarification, I wasn't aware of this kind of trial as part of the BG-12 study. If his insurance won't cover Tecfidera, Biogen does have a patient assistance program that might help defray the cost of the drug.

I hope you'll keep us updated on your boyfriend's progress.

Kim

Featuring Experts

Neil S. Lava, MD, is the director of the multiple sclerosis clinic at Emory University in Atlanta. He has been treating multiple sclerosis patients si...More

Helpful Tips

Tip for hives
My daughter suffers with hives, they have never found out what causes her hives either. We thought since I was recently diagnosed that ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.