Skip to content
waiting on my appt with a neurologist
Ryesmommie26 posted:
Hello I have not yet been told i for sure have ms but i have been going thru alot of the symptoms fora little less than two years now 3 days after i had my daughter i had stroke like symptoms which were whole body numb slurred speech blurred spotted vision the doctors thought and told me it was a stroke because my BP was 100 and something over 120..... in this last almost 2 years i have had 5 attacks and it just seems to be getting worse now after this last attack i have some kind of symptom everyday. if i get hot i vomit without warning. I have alot of pain weakness and what feels like soreness from a charlie horse in my leg/s 2 to 3 days out of each week. I have alot of mid upper back pain so bad it takes my breath away i was seen by a urologist because my docter thought he would help and after a bunch of test they found nothing that could be causing my pain but did fined out that after having my urerthra stretched twice that my bladder will not empty its self and i have times where i feel i have to pee and try to go and i cant other times i have to pee 24/7 i can go and 5 mins later have to go again. it seems like it keeps getting worse. i have paing thats burning numb to touch and is painfull that comes and goes in my hand and left arm it makes me what to cry feels like im being stabbed. i also never feel like i sleep im always so tired......... i dont think in the past two years a day has went by that i feel great........ does this seem like ms or does it look like something else..... and i take pain med. and it doesnt really help also have shocking pains that shoot in my back and if i turn my head sometimes it feels like lightening struck me and feels like blood is running down my back?
some please help i have to wait 2 months for my dr appt.

hackwriter responded:
Dear Ryes,

Your stress is evident in your narrative, I know how hard it is to wait for a neurology appointment after suffering so many confusing symptoms.

But no one here can tell you that your symptoms are MS-related, only a neurologist can test you for that. And although what you describe is consistent with MS, your symptoms could have other causes, too.

A neurologist will give you a clinical exam, testing your coordination, reflexes, strength, and balance. If he suspects MS, he will order brain and spine MRIs to look for lesions. Other MS tests include evoked potentials and a lumbar puncture.

It could take a long while for doctors to figure out the cause of your symptoms. But you don't need a diagnosis to have your symptoms treated. Keep a symptom log and take it to your appointment.

Those electric-shock/burning/shooting pains sound like neuropathic pain and can be treated with anti-seizure meds such as gabapentin and Lyrica. That charlie horse-like soreness sounds like muscle spasticity, and that can be treated with a muscle relaxer such as baclofen. Bladder spasticity, characterized by urinary frequency/urgency and trouble emptying, can be treated with Vesicare. So be sure to tell your doc about your symptoms and ask about taking these medications so that you can feel more comfortable.

I hope you'll find some answers soon. Do let us know the results of your appointment later in the summer. Hang in there, you'll be okay.

Kim

Featuring Experts

Neil S. Lava, MD, is the director of the multiple sclerosis clinic at Emory University in Atlanta. He has been treating multiple sclerosis patients si...More

Helpful Tips

Fatigue
Has anyone ever included bee pollen with their diet? I also take niacin. Bee pollen seems to have help me with the fatigue factor along ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.