Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Uncopoerative Doctors vs Pain Management Police State
mthurmerm posted:
I have been Dx'd 23 years. I am still able to walk. When Dx'd, My Neuro put me on 3.5 Lortab, Soma and Xanax. I was on that "cocktail" until 2007, when a new MD PCP put me on Oxycontin, Soma and Xanax. I protested against the Oxycontin but he said over the years I had taken too much Tylenol. I went on the 40 mg Oxycontin 2 times a day. I have had some MS pain everywhere at some time or the other. Oxycontin did nothing. I suffered breakthrough pain all the time and asked on a regular basis for something in the middle, he said "Hell NO" I was taking enough.
Last month I told him I wanted to go to Pain Management, I though I might get some help. He agreed
I went to him yesterday and told him, put me on 4 Hydo 10/325 a days, drop the Oxy, and step me down. one last effort. He got mad as hell. I was trying one last ditch effort. Well bottom line, because I would have to go to a shrink for Xanax, and was going to end up costing me money I don't have, I just left it to Hell alone. He told me MS does not cause pain, I don't need Xanax, I have no reason to be "Nervous"
We argued for 20 minutes, He cussed and made me feel like dung
IS this is the way it is going to be, You get it with a MD would writes this crap and treats you like an addict.
I need help. We have no Neuros in the Chatt area that even write Narcotics, they believe in aromatherapy. After 23 years I do know what I need..Signed, Mitch, in the Middle

Take the Poll

How many MS patients get treated like crap by their Doctors ?
  • yes
  • no
  • used to it, its normal
vote
View Poll Results

hackwriter responded:
Dear Mitch,

If your doctor thinks MS doesn't cause pain, he doesn't know much about the disease, does he? And who needs a hothead for a doctor anyway? Drop him.

Narcotics never helped me, either, I tried it for a short time. My neuro put me on gabapentin for nerve pain, but that did nothing (it does help a lot of people, though, you might give it a try, it's cheap), so I tried Lyrica, and that helped a lot more. I only needed it for a short time, I take nothing but a muscle relaxer now and use a heating pad, which helps tremendously whenever I have pelvic/thigh pain and shoulder/cervical pain. I like my neuro, she acts more as my consult/advisor, I call the shots. It works because I've educated myself about the disease and its treatments. She fills in the blanks, and I've alerted her to some things she didn't know, so we learn from each other.

It does take time to find the right med, and finding a doctor who is willing to explore the possibilities is, obviously, the ticket to that discovery.

Kim

An_252540 replied to hackwriter's response:
I need to find a doctor like that! I go to a pain clinic for my back and I have told them about my other problems and they just say they are treating my back only! but I thought that A PAIN CLINIC is to treat all of your pain or try and find the cause of it. ???
NOT TO MAKE YOU FEEL LIKE I'M CRAZY? I have went through 5 heating pads in six months. yes they help but the massage and hot tub helps more. but I can't afford a hot tub and the massages are not covered on insurance for medical use. All the stuff that my doctors advise the insurance says are not medically nesssary ........ so who is the treating me??? I go to lexington where there is a teaching college for DOCTORS but state is telling them what to do. I don't think that is right, and I don't know which way to go anymore !!!

hackwriter replied to An_252540's response:
Dear Mitch,

When I was uninsured, I discovered the charity care tier of health care. A Catholic hospital in the neighboring county had a Care for the Poor program that gave me free MRIs, blood tests, even a colonoscopy. I was sent there by a private charity clinic I'd found that allowed me to see a neuro and a PCP free of charge. I also went to my HHS community clinic for some basic care. All of these services were available to people based on income, insurance status, and Medicaid recipients were accepted, too, when insurance wouldn't cover the tests.

You might have to do some research to find these services--there are religious organizations that fund charity clinics like the one I found, for example. The only reason I found the charity clinic was because a staffer at my former neurologist's office happened to answer my call one day and told me about it, I was lucky.

Once I got married and on my husband's private insurance, though, I could no longer use that charity clinic. But now I have Medicare and have the option of seeing the neurologist of my choice. However, my coinsurance keeps me in constant debt. The hospital I use now that bills me for my MRIs allows me to make small monthly payments. They also have a program that can help people in your situation, either with discounts or payment programs like the one I use. So if Medicaid denies payment for your MRI, why not go ahead and bite the bullet, incur the debt for whole cost if you have to? At least it will help determine a diagnosis. It'll be expensive, but worth it if you really want to find out what is wrong. Most of the time, there is no free lunch.

The other alternative is to find doctors outside your network even if it means having to travel some distance. If you can't find the charity care you need, that would mean having to pay out of pocket and incurring debt as well.

My point is that you've got to do the legwork and find what you need, the medical establishment you're in isn't going to hand you this information on a silver platter, they don't care about you. So, you can spin your wheels and stay frustrated, or you can think outside the box and start researching some solutions. They're out there, you just have to find them. It's not fair, I know, I've been through it. What I learned is that I have to advocate for myself, nobody is going to do it for me.

Kim

chris_is_scared responded:
That's horrendous, no one should have to deal with doctors like that.

Featuring Experts

Neil S. Lava, MD, is the director of the multiple sclerosis clinic at Emory University in Atlanta. He has been treating multiple sclerosis patients si...More

Helpful Tips

certified nursing assistant (CNA)
I am a care giver who have had vast experience with MS patient and i do travel with my client/s. If some one out there who is looking for a ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.