Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
neck surgery
indypig1096 posted:
hello everyone, thank you up front for any responses. my father died last month from MS and while reading many articles some say it could be hereditary. for starters,im having neck surgery fusion c4,5 and 6. and I have lower back problems. I have constant tingling in hands legs and feet. dr says its because of the neck and lower back. I also have blurred vision sometimes, hot weather makes me feel like crap and my legs and arms are getting stiff. is it dangerous to have neck surgery done if you have ms? my father was diagnosed very late with ms, he also had neck surgery and went down hill about 6 months after the surgery and then he was diagnosed. coincidence or did it have to do with the surgery? ive had mri done on low back,neck and brain and nobody has said anything. if they weren't looking for lesions and only looking for my complaint problems would they still had seen them or do they have to be looking for them? sorry for all the questions,i want to make sure surgery is my last resort and as of now it is. if surgery would make ms speed up or get worse I would really consider living with the awful pain. thank you again for any responses.

hackwriter responded:
Dear indy,

Sorry to hear about your father, how painful it must have been for you to watch him decline and then pass away.

Degenerative spine disease and MS are two separate medical conditions; having a spinal fusion does not worsen MS. Multiple Sclerosis is an autoimmune disease that attacks the myelin coating around the nerves of the brain and spine.

The symptoms you are having could be attributed solely to your spinal issues. Your symptoms are neurological, and although tingling, blurred vision and heat intolerance are all symptoms of MS as well, those symptoms can be caused by many, many medical conditions unrelated to MS that can affect our nerves.

Brain and spine MRIs will show white matter lesions regardless of why the MRIs were ordered, even if lesions are not what the doctor was looking for. The great thing about an MRI is that it can reveal things such as an abnormal thyroid, gallstones, tumors, and other problems that might not have caused any symptoms but upon discovery in an MRI, perhaps should be treated per your doctor's recommendation.

I suggest you get a copy of the radiology reports so you can read for yourself the results of the MRIs. If there is something in them that raises questions for you, ask your doctor to interpret them so you understand what you have read.

Your concern about the heredity question is understandable, but MS is not considered a hereditary disease. People who have a close relative with MS only have a 1-3% chance of developing it themselves. The population at large has a risk of less than one percent.

Hope this helps.

Kim

indypig1096 replied to hackwriter's response:
thank you so much kim

Featuring Experts

Neil S. Lava, MD, is the director of the multiple sclerosis clinic at Emory University in Atlanta. He has been treating multiple sclerosis patients si...More

Helpful Tips

Dreams: My Journey with Multiple Sclerosis
At seven years old I absolutely knew what I wanted to do with my life: become a performer and maybe head for Broadway! A basement ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.