Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
MS and Muscle Tone
Nancy04232004 posted:
My opening question for this discussion is also for the Dr.
I have a friend who was Dx'd two years after I did with MS. She is in her late sixties or early seventies and she goes to the gym on a near daily basis. Even with her regular workout schedule, she has noticed that she is losing muscle tone (aka, mass). Can MS cause this? Has anyone else out there experienced the same thing? Am eager for your responses. Thanks

hackwriter responded:
Dear Nancy,

There is a two-fold answer to the question of whether MS can cause the muscle to waste away. The simple answer would be no, MS does not destroy muscle tissue. It causes nerve damage to the brain and spinal cord, but does not attack peripheral soft tissues.

Over time, however, a thigh or calf muscle that has grown spastic or paralyzed because of spinal cord damage can begin to waste at some point. If a muscle has not received the proper signals from the brain and spinal cord for a long time, it can forget its function and start to diminish. I myself have some mild muscle-wasting in the heel of my left hand, and that hand is the more severely nerve-damaged of the two.

However, in the case of your friend who is in her senior years, the loss of muscle tissue is also a natural consequence of the aging process. We all lose muscle mass as we grow older, one cause being the decline of hormone production.

Exercise is a wonderful way to counteract that muscle tissue loss as we age. It won't stop the breakdown of tissue loss, but it will help slow it down and keep osteoporosis in check as well.

Kim

Featuring Experts

Neil S. Lava, MD, is the director of the multiple sclerosis clinic at Emory University in Atlanta. He has been treating multiple sclerosis patients si...More

Helpful Tips

Fatigue
Has anyone ever included bee pollen with their diet? I also take niacin. Bee pollen seems to have help me with the fatigue factor along ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.